Middle Creek After Work Finds!

Kehbe

Stopped after work at a spot of Pennsylvanian Middle Creek limestone between the Elm Branch form. and the Hushpuckney shale and found this lot of goodies!

pic1 post-7046-0-57948300-1330139679_thumb.jpg

I am thinking the gastropod is either littorinoidea or viviparus but am in no way sure? I haven't found a lot of gastropods so I am not familiar with them. Here it is though and I would welcome any thoughts.

pic2 post-7046-0-04665500-1330140876_thumb.jpg

pic3 post-7046-0-14816500-1330140908_thumb.jpg(I placed it on the shale for better contrast, not for association)(any clue about the ?'trace'? on the shale?{Muncie Creek})

pic4 post-7046-0-93676100-1330140969_thumb.jpg

A couple of the brachs pictured are extremely well preserved! A couple of crinoid spines and a plate, some nice bryozoan material and a couple meekella brachs in hash. I'll have to post a second time to show them, I have reached the upload quota for this post. Thanks for looking! :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

A few more pics...

pic5 post-7046-0-27616500-1330142908_thumb.jpg

pic6 post-7046-0-75569200-1330142942_thumb.jpg pic7 post-7046-0-56117900-1330142966_thumb.jpg

pic8 post-7046-0-82200600-1330143026_thumb.jpg (not sure about ID of these either!)

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

A few more pics...

pic8 post-7046-0-82200600-1330143026_thumb.jpg (not sure about ID of these either!)

The one on the right is the pelecypod Promytilus.

-----

The gastropod is Strobeus or something similar.

The black shale trace is Planolites.

I love the growth lines on the Composita.

Context is critical.

The brachiopod in pics 6 &7 is extraordinarily well preserved! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice stuff Kyle..... You're holding out on me!

Joe,

Until you figure out a way to take me to Belgium with you, I don't want to hear anything about 'holding out' on someone! ;) Besides, I took you to one of my favorite spots and you walked all over the trilobites, literally, without picking up a single one! ;) Seriously though, next time you are in town and we have a little more time, maybe we can hit a couple other spots! :) looking forward to it!

Thanks Missourian for the ID's and the rest of you for your comments! :) I'll be going back to this spot for sure!

Charles Darwin

• 2 months later...

Found these yesterday at this same middle creek exposure. The small gastropod in front in this picture is the same one as originally posted on this thread but the larger one I just found yesterday. It is somewhat distorted but really is a nice steinkern measuring about 1-1/4" long. Not certain but I think it is a strobeus ? also. I found this other piece that I think is mollusc of some sort. 1-3/4" L x 7/8" W. It looks like a mussel. I am reasearching it further. Thanks for looking at this post, ;) again! :)

pic1 post-7046-0-91511700-1335552786_thumb.jpg

Charles Darwin

Nice Strobeus and myalinid.

I don't think I've ever seen those types in the Middle Creek.

Context is critical.

Great stuff..... I wish I had a place to just run after work. But all that is close to me is black dirt..... curse you glaciers...... curse you

Archived