Is This A Dino Egg?

droidmonster

Not a dinosaur egg... And the " nut " I'm not sure what it is.

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Hi Droidmonster, welcome to the forum from a fellow Hoosier. Definitely not a dinosaur egg, probably an ironstone concretion of some sort. Depending on where 'the lake' is in Indiana the 'nut' could be a geodized crinoid. But it could also be an ironstone concretion as well, they can be quite variable in form.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Not a dinosaur egg... And the " nut " I'm not sure what it is.

Hi Droidmonster, welcome to the forum from a fellow Hoosier. Definitely not a dinosaur egg, probably an ironstone concretion of some sort. Depending on where 'the lake' is in Indiana the 'nut' could be a geodized crinoid. But it could also be an ironstone concretion as well, they can be quite variable in form.

well thats to bad. well it a very egg like stone haha. i found them at lake monroe

It is indeed! Lots of fossils around Lake Monroe, keep hunting!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I would like to see better pictures of that little "basketball"; it could be an algal fruiting body.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks a little like an Oncoba sp. fruit. Porosphaera globularis, and I believe other Porosphaera sp. sponges, can have shallow grooves too.

P. globularis.

post-45-0-82965500-1330886384_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

I've come across ref' to an Ordovician sponge, very similar to your 'basketball' Caryospongia diadema.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Your "dino egg" appears to be made of quartz (I'm looking at the top edge,rim) maybe a geode of some sort, looking at the ripples on the side, something water-formed... In any case its a nice curio. Edited by dragonsfly