32fordboy

Colorado Locations

32fordboy

I am thinking about getting into fossil hunting here in Colorado. Do you guys have any favorite locations here? I would like to find something other than sea life, maybe mammal or bird specimens, but any place you think is nice will do. And if you don't want to share specifics, that is totally understandable. Thanks for any help.

Nick

Auspex
I am thinking about getting into fossil hunting here in Colorado. Do you guys have any favorite locations here? I would like to find something other than sea life, maybe mammal or bird specimens, but any place you think is nice will do. And if you don't want to share specifics, that is totally understandable. Thanks for any help.

Nick

Did someone mention BIRDS?

Not sure where you're based, but Douglas Pass, in western CO, (Green River Fm. Eocene shale) yields bird tracks and feathers, as well as insects and leaves. The fossil beds in the Florissant area have given up a couple bird skeletons (dream big, I always say); I don't know about access, though. (I'd share specifics if I had 'em).

32fordboy

I'm about 30 minutes north of Denver, but anywhere in the state is fine with me. I probably won't be doing to much traveling until late spring/early summer next year. Just making a list and gaining what knowledge I need for now. Can never prepare too soon. :rolleyes:

32fordboy

How about lower Wyoming as well?

MR.CRINOID

Fremont County, Colorado. Cañon City CO.

KraZshardLady

I just moved back to the area, as well, and am looking for something more specific than winging it. I'm so happy to have found this discussion! I'm doing my homework and poking around in the cold because I can't wait to get started, taking a few notes from y'all here is exactly what I've been needing. Thank you!

I'm in Fort Collins and would love to exchange notes, finds, etc.  If you're feeling brave, I'd welcome an adventure with a fellow fossil nerd, you know where to find me!

henpecked

@KraZshardLady

I was hoping this page would be brought back to life.  When things warm up head over to Kremmling and check out the ammonite 

site that is north of town, pretty country over there. What exactly are you wanting to find? 

Steve

jpc

Most of the Kremmling ammonite site is a no-collecting fenced in area.  

joshuajbelanger

I will actually be moving out west in June/July, and Fort Collins is one of three potential cities.  I’m currently researching the areas.  What’s huntable out Colorado way?  I don’t mind driving a few hours.  Fossils will be my determining factor between Fort Collins, Bend Oregon, and Flagstaff Arizona.

UtahFossilHunter
13 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

I will actually be moving out west in June/July, and Fort Collins is one of three potential cities.  I’m currently researching the areas.  What’s huntable out Colorado way?  I don’t mind driving a few hours.  Fossils will be my determining factor between Fort Collins, Bend Oregon, and Flagstaff Arizona.

There’s the Florissant Fm. and some Green River Fm. If you find a nice rancher maybe you could get some dinosaur material closer to Dinosaur, CO.

joshuajbelanger
11 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

There’s the Florissant Fm. and some Green River Fm. If you find a nice rancher maybe you could get some dinosaur material closer to Dinosaur, CO.

Dinosaur material in Dinosaur, CO!  No way!  Lol,  thanks for the heads up, definitely something to look into.

UtahFossilHunter
2 minutes ago, joshuajbelanger said:

Dinosaur material in Dinosaur, CO!  No way!  Lol,  thanks for the heads up, definitely something to look into.

Names can be decieving as is the case with our friends in Greenland.:P