Unknown Cretaceous Fossil

kauffy

Hey Everyone,

I found this fossil in Pueblo CO. I cant remember excactly what formation, but its part of the Greenhorn Megacyclotherm... It seems to be bone? what do you all think.... the shale it came out of wasnt very fossiliferous......... Any ideas?

sorry the pics arnt great but I dont actually have this fossil with me, its still in america...

post-142-1220316234_thumb.jpg

post-142-1220316255_thumb.jpg

post-142-1220316280_thumb.jpg

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Are we talking about th "stick-looking thing in the dark patch"? In the absence of better pictures, can you augment the ones we have with a description (at least as memory serves)? As is, I'd have to go with QBO (quasi bonelike object).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

we are talking abou the black kite shaped object.... this is the best description i can give:

Small, flat kite shaped, with a raised mid-rib.... sorry thats the best i could do ;)

hmm it reminds me of a ray scute? or some sort of scale? im really not familiar with cretaceous fish or rays but hopefully someone on here can help ID this????

Whatever it is, it appears to be on the weathered surface of the rock, and doesn't appear to go very deep; is that correct? Also, about how big is it?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Whatever it is, it appears to be on the weathered surface of the rock, and doesn't appear to go very deep; is that correct? Also, about how big is it?

Yep thats correct, if i remember correctly its probably 1cm, give or take 3mm or so?

Well, I tried to snatch the picture to enlarge/enhance it, but it's in a format I can't save to open. Have to work with what we've got. The Greenhorn is a marine deposit, and assuming that it is bone, is must be a fragment. Is it my lousy screen, or does it look "fishy"?

i honestly dont know Auspex, it could be a bony fish bit?

heres another picture, i lightened it a lot see if this helps at all with your screen! :P

post-142-1220322772_thumb.jpg

Hey Bill, thanks for the pic, im glad ive got a bit of a confermation that it is bone... i was just hoping maybe it was something that could be identified further? anyway thanks a lot for your imput guys!! considering i found barely anything at this outcrop im happy that I found this! :D