Unknown Bone (Possibly Pet Wood)

Ramo

I found this "thing" today while fishing at a farm pond. It was in a crumbling concretion full of clams, which are common in the area. It looks like a large piece of bone, or drift wood that became fossilized. The close-ups show the texture of the surface. Fossilized wood is not un-heard of in this area, but I'm very unfamiliar with the structure of some wood types. The internal structure looks bone like to me, but I think the surface texture looks plant like.

Ramo

post-40-0-04652000-1330628473_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-94305900-1330628490_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-84679000-1330628509_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-64461500-1330628527_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I don't think it is bone. My initial reaction is plant, but the internal structure makes me pause a bit.

Kinda' wood-like to me:

post-423-0-97701700-1330635326_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It probably is wood, It's just that I've only found wood one other time in this limestone, and it was always crushed, and looked more "wood-like". I've sent some pictures to Mike Everhart, and I'll let you know what he says.

Ramo

I edited to add another picture, sure looks plant like from this view.

post-40-0-50116100-1330636570_thumb.jpg

Edited by bowkill

-Aldo Leopold

I vote for wood,not Calamites. Certainly gives that impression but I think the "breaks" give one the sense of nodes. Ridges seem to line up through those "breaks". I don't believe that would be the case if it was Calamites. Well, at least the way they're spaced.

I just got a reply from Mike Everhart, and he says that it is a piece of wood. I guess he's seen a lot of it from the Greenhorn.

You guys were correct.

Thanks,

Ramo

-Aldo Leopold

The first picture shows Inoceramus sp., which suggests - together with the lithology - upper cretaceous. That excludes Calamitaceae. I think it's a piece of wood, and the tubes inside remind me of some monocotyledonous wood, e.g. palm wood.

araucaria1959