My Labor Day Weekend

Jack the Collector

I did not get a chance to hunt anything this past weekend.I recieved a phone call Thursday from some people who were clearing out thier deceased fathers home.Yep he was a old time rock hound,had a lot of this that and the other.Long story short,I spent 7 hours going thorugh boxes piles and equipment,my offer was accepted and it took 3 loads with a 14 ft Uhaul to get it home.

While it will be a labour of love,the fossils are going to be a bit of work.Which makes me glad I found this forum when I did.There are 8 flats of fossils and a few small bins as well.The majority appear to be Florida in origin.He put stuff in small containers or loose or in plastic bags.Some are labeled as to location and what he thought they are.The majority of the Florida fossils that have a label say they are from Apollo Beach.There are also Trilobites,Brachiopods,solenhofen fish,Ammonites,15 Mazon creek nodules and a few Im not sure"s.I am posting a couple of photos to show what its like.

post-691-1220394235_thumb.jpg

post-691-1220394248_thumb.jpg

post-691-1220394260_thumb.jpg

post-691-1220394272_thumb.jpg

We are all merely curators for the next generation.

well for not hunting it looks like you did quite well! im sure once you get stuck into it there will be some nice suprises! you got a picture of that fish skull??

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Gotta have something to keep you busy on rainy days, right? (And at night when it's too dark out, and any old time when there's a chore to avoid...)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Gotta have something to keep you busy on rainy days, right? (And at night when it's too dark out, and any old time when there's a chore to avoid...)

*AMEN*!!

well for not hunting it looks like you did quite well! im sure once you get stuck into it there will be some nice suprises! you got a picture of that fish skull??

kauffy,here is whats in the bag with that label,none of which I think is a fish skull.Hence the work begins.I have found a couple of Florida fossil reference sites that will help.Right now I am just trying to sort it all out into groups ie:mammal,fish,etc.

post-691-1220400118_thumb.jpg

wow no skull but some nice bones, and im sure you meant Hence the fun* begins! :P

Good luck with those, they are very interesting... post some more up, im sure someone can ID some of the specimins

I immediately peeked at that corner too, Solius.... :)

I can't believe this, Jack! You get lucky even when you DON'T hunt... I'm sure you'll take care of that man's stuff, though, may he RIP... All I ever got from a dead person were some shoes and other clothes that belonged to a great uncle.

Oooooh! I had a momentary vision of all of my stuff and where it might wind up. Not that I will need it, but some of it should not wind up as yard rocks. I will have to get it all organized and figure out who gets it. At least that guys stuff was taken by someone who will appreciate it. Ha, maybe I will have some of it buried with me to create a mystery for someone else a million years down the road.....

solius symbiosus and Ordovicious,

I will try to get photos of the bugs ASAP,most are enrolled.Some are obvious Utah in origin,some are with Braciopods and marked Brawood fossils,others have no notes at all.

Photos of some not all the Trilobites,I have yet to find a complete bug.There are a couple of interesting pieces that I think will end up in my collection rather than being donated or traded away.This is a sample of whats in this grouping.

post-691-1220478761_thumb.jpg

post-691-1220478773_thumb.jpg

post-691-1220478787_thumb.jpg

post-691-1220478809_thumb.jpg

post-691-1220478823_thumb.jpg

post-691-1220478871_thumb.jpg

post-691-1220478902_thumb.jpg

post-691-1220478912_thumb.jpg

Tracer,there are 4 reasons I bought it lock stock and bottle cap,and by the way it was an all or nothing deal.They wanted to be rid of it.I bought the whole estate for what I would have paid for a new Item #1.

1) 24 inch Highland Park Saw with 1 extra new blade.

2) 100 or so pounds of Prime Morrisonite Jasper

3) 60 pounds of Dusuetes Jasper.

4) 3 + lbs of cobalt silver cabbing rough.

Really 75 % of the cabbing material is old stock that one can not find anymore.My plan is once sorted out,get a website and sell or trade a good portion.

...My plan is once sorted out,get a website and sell or trade a good portion.

A lot easier to do when one doesn't have any emotional investment in the goods. You were in the right place at the right time with the right resources: congrats!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I like the enrolled Phacops (or at least that's what it appears to be). At least one of those looks like it could be prepped, right? I have some of those I need someone to look at--and help me decide if it can be "improved."