Brownie's Beach, Md 8-31-08

Maryland Mike

My wife and I and of course our Megalodog, Alex (my wife's Miniature Poodle who thinks he's a Great Dane), got out to the beach just before low tide. I'm lucky in that although my wife doesn't care that much about fossil shark teeth, she likes hiking the beach, especially when she can bring the Megalodog along.

The park was already jammed at 9:30AM. I've never seen so many people there ever.

It was not a day for spectacular finds, but considering that a week prior 3 hours had yielded only about 35 or 40 very small teeth, hunting was better than it has been. Maybe Hurricane Hanna will stir things up a bit.

A couple Makos although not large ones.

post-392-1220414391_thumb.jpg

A nice 2" bit of ray spine

post-392-1220414418_thumb.jpg

A porpoise tooth

post-392-1220413746_thumb.jpg

Not quite sure what this tooth is from. It doesn't look like any of the Croc teeth I've seen. I could use some help on this one.

post-392-1220413806_thumb.jpg post-392-1220413817_thumb.jpg

And what I think may be a rear file Galeocerdo Contortus.

Unfortunately this is about the best my camera can do with a small tooth.

If anyone has thoughts on this one please put your two cents in. Yes it does seem to have that classic twist.

post-392-1220414029_thumb.jpg

post-392-1220414062_thumb.jpg

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

Also the usual assortment of Ray Plate, small teeth and odds & ends.

Cool stuff, Mike. I suppose when it's "crowded", it gets a little competitive...but there's satisfaction in discovering the "overlooked".

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Guest N.AL.hunter

Nice finds... even though I am convinced you Marylanders plant those porpoise teeth just to trick us "outsiders"! My wife and I kept our eyes peeled for them and didn't see a one (of course I was given some, thanks).

I wish I were as lucky finding Megalon teeth as I am with the porpoise teeth. I seem to find one or two porpoise teeth just about every time I'm at Brownie's Beach.

Squalodon you think obsessed1. That would be a first for me.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium