n30c

Recently Moved To Co

n30c

Hi, i recently moved to colorado from PA and am trying to get my fossil hunting sea leggs out here. im looking for a fellow hunter to go on trips with and show me a place or 2 to hunt around here. i ahve lots of places on the east coast i can share but im having no luck finding any here.

32fordboy

Welcome to CO. It's a great place for hunting. I'll shoot you an invite.

dragonsfly

www.fossilsites.com/STATES/CO.HTM Hope this helps, John

flyersfan805

I remember training in pinion canyon, by trinidad when I was stationed at ft.carson. I didn't realize it at the time how amazingly rare it was but you could literally walk in dino footprints and find all sorts of bone material laying around. I really miss that state, good luck in your journey.

Mike

n30c

what are some places i can pull up and dig at? i dont really want to pay to get fossils i never had to in PA and think its kinda odd taht that seems to be most of the places you can get stuff here. i live near boulder and am looking to do a fossil trip next month any ideas as to where to go il have about a week so wyoming and other areas are fair game as well

32fordboy

Pull-up-and-dig here in Colorado is a tough one. Combine the interesting geology with the numerous other things people would rather do outside on a nice day and it makes things a bit tougher.

I heared somewhere that road cut-outs are also off limits, though I've never read into it. I'd send you an invite, but one inspection of our hunting spot this year was enough to convince us it's all dried up for the season. Thank you, drought. Not.

n30c

still havent had much luck i found one or 2 things in the bottom of horse tooth res last year when it was almost empty but that was it has any one else had any luck or even can point me in the direction of what formations might have fossils so maybe i can do some searching myself?

Jdeutsch

Lots of places- collecting trips a nice way to learn the state- for example

Along the Arkansas river south of Pueblo- Pierre shale- marine fossils

Very close to home-just south of Lyons-north of Boulder- shells- I think it is Pierre shale- there are some quarries but I don't know if you can get access.

Plants-leaves/Marine- Douglas pass

Klinker Bed plants towards Rangley (watch for aggressive police-speed traps)

Kremmling -Bivalves

Raton Pass has coal, plants

You can even find jasperized petrified wood in Cherry creek/Platte central denver

I've found some great leaves when they were building neighborhoods south of Boulder-just picking through the rubble- but matrix was very soft.

I don't know the status of road cut collecting - but on public land- non-vertebrate and plant OK

I moved out of the area 12 yrs ago to my current job/location- so I'm not current, but I had good collecting fun when I lived there.