1/30 Scale Tyrannosaurus Finally Cast

32fordboy

Very nice! Let's see 1/30th...calculate...calculate...figure..figure...oh heck, just tell us how big it is :)

And be sure and post another pic when it's all cleaned up and painted!

Oh! duh! I just noticed the scale in one picture! Again..great job!

Edited by BobWill

Off the top of my head...18 inches? Thanks for the compliments. I plan to base the paint scheme on my mom's African Grey parrot, but the tail won't be neon red.

but the tail won't be neon red.

That would be funny if they actually were!

Seriously, awesome job!!!

Steve

That is Bad to the Bone!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That is Sideshow Collectibles quality!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Know what would be cool, if you used fish teeth (lee creek type) or something for its teeth! Like the conical porgie teeth!

Very good job. I have several CM Studio T-rex models here and yours is as good as any Charlie has done and I am a big fan of Charlie's work. Looking forward to the paint up.

Fish teeth would be cool. One guy uses mammoth ivory. The original sculpt took maybe 60-80 hours (had to redo it 3 times using the original as a foundation to work on). The models are cast at home in a pressure pot, which eliminates bubbles and forces the plastic into the tiny teeth. You'll notice in the pics some bubble issues on the back of the right foot and back of the left knee. That issue has been solved and the models are now bubble free.

If you ever look at models online, they are pretty expensive. That's because other companies mold/cast them and have to sell the casts back to the sculptor. After getting a quote to have them molded ($600 for the molds, then I'd still have to buy the casts), it was cheaper to buy silicone and a pressure pot and learn the process which is an art in itself, and scary when you pressurize the mold and can't see if your model collapsed under pressure for over 24 hours. Then you have to hope the mold is set up for proper plastic flow and gas release. If a mold fails, that's as good as $100 in the toilet. It's happened. :mellow:

post-741-0-34007200-1331041836_thumb.jpg

Edited by 32fordboy

Nick,

Your sculpting is phenomenal! :drool:

Wow, man. WoW! :wub:

This is fantastic work - you should be proud!

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Awesome job!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

<shudder>

You've done it, Deuce; you've created a Rex I can relate to! She evokes a creature that is "real"...not the myth, but a plausible, living, breathing animal.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks, guys. Hopefully the red tail isn't overkill. Still trying to decide on eye and claw color. Our african grey has light yellow eyes and black claws.

Amazing job Nick!! You've got some awesome talent!!

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

~Sir Winston Churchill

Absolutely beautiful. At 18 " it must be a sight to see. Bravo sir, your lucky to have such talent.

This is an awesome sculpture. Great job. Do you post on any of the sculpture forums? (The Clubhouse, Statueforum, Concept Art, etc?)

I sculpt a little too, but I'm nowhere as skilled as you are. And I'm also sculpting things that don't already exist, so it's much more forgiving.

Love the paint job too

Edited by Jive Turkey