DigginIt

Closest Collecting Sites Near Garland.

DigginIt

Hi folks!

I will be visiting my Aunt in Garland Texas next week and am dying to bring home a few fossils, or intersting minerals from the area. I know that Texas is FILLED with awesome material but , I have spent days and countless hours researching and reading, only to find that there doesnt seem to be much near where she is! I imagine, someone will drive me a reasonable distance ( I wouldn't want to ask more than say, 50 miles away) one day to collect. I did find a general mention of two seemingly, lesser known areas nearby . One was called "Cooks creek branch at Farmers branch" but, It seems that IF I have pinpointed the correct area ( and am not sure that I HAVE), this area may be in a preserve? Is anyone familiar with the site that can set me strait as to whether I can hunt here and some specific directions ?

I also found mention of "California Crossing -At RR bridge on Elm Fork of Trinity River on North Bank" It is by lake Carolyn in Dallas county. ANY info on this would be greatly appreciated also.

I am DIZZY trying to find out if it is even LEGAL to search road cuts in Texas and when and where I may need a permit of some sort.

Does anyone know of any potential sites that I have not found near the area for fossils or minerals/gems/Geodes ? Even a pay to dig near the area will suffice if it must. I just hate the thought of visiting such a bountiful state and missing out on even the slightest "Ground goodie" !

If you will please, try to remember that I am not familiar with the area at all. So if you could use reference points that I would be likely to see on Google maps?

Thanks all, for considering my post!

Boneman007

PM me. I'll take you out for a day. You just need to tell me what time period and what types of fossils you like to hunt for.

Im in Carrollton, which is 20 minutes from Garland. (It's all Dallas)

vertman

PM me. I'll take you out for a day. You just need to tell me what time period and what types of fossils you like to hunt for.

Im in Carrollton, which is 20 minutes from Garland. (It's all Dallas)

Hey, Brent, I wanna go! Oh, yeah, I live in Garland!

Fruitbat

There are definitely a large number of good collecting locales within 50 miles of Garland, TX (I lived there for 15 years). You should probably take boneman007 up on that offer! Of course...not TOO much farther than 50 miles and you're on the North Sulphur River and then you're guaranteed fossils (you basically can't help but find numerous Exogyra clams if nothing else) and maybe even a few nice mineral specimens (mostly calcite) to boot!

-Joe

Edited by Fruitbat

Boneman007

Hey, Brent, I wanna go! Oh, yeah, I live in Garland!

I'll keep you up to date, Richard

DigginIt

Thanks all!

I have sent a messag to Boneman and am hoping to get together between the 14th and 18th next week! Maybe, I'll get to meet you too Vertman!

Auspex

You just scored a great opportunity! At least I know I'd jump at the chance to hunt with either of these guys!

vertman

You just scored a great opportunity! At least I know I'd jump at the chance to hunt with either of these guys!

Thank you, sir, for the kind compliment!

DigginIt

Yes AUSPEX, it seems by their profiles that these guys could "School me" good! :D

DigginIt

By the way, I just read my original post again and gasped! It sounds as if I were presuming that someone from the forum would drive me 50 miles! I hope it comes through that I meant someone of my family?! Yet, I recieved this very gracious offer that I can't pass up! Shucks! :blink:

Boneman007

Thank you, sir, for the kind compliment!

Dang it richard! If I look at that upside down vertebra of your's one more time I'm going to SCREAM. Fix your icon! Turn it the right side up!

:D Gosh I've wanted to say that for a couple of weeks!

(For those of you that don't know Richard and I (vertman and boneman007) - He is the one that started me out in this wonderful hobby almost 20 years ago- In other words, its his fault I've destroyed trucks, broken bones, and suffered Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

I could never thank him enough! :) )

Edited by Boneman007

Auspex

Dang it richard! If I look at that upside down vertebra of your's one more time I'm going to SCREAM. Fix your icon! Turn it the right side up!

I just assumed the critter died on its back. with its legs sticking up in the air (like cartoon roadkill, y'know?) :P

DigginIt

LOL!

vertman

:D Gosh I've wanted to say that for a couple of weeks!

(For those of you that don't know Richard and I (vertman and boneman007) - He is the one that started me out in this wonderful hobby almost 20 years ago- In other words, its his fault I've destroyed trucks, broken bones, and suffered Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

I could never thank him enough! :) )

Like Coach Bob Knight said, "When I die I want them to bury me upside down, so my critics..."

Actually, I was thinking about changing my icon again, but now that I know it bugs you...enjoy it a while longer!

Auspex

It's an inverted vert, man!

TerryJenkins

Sounds like fun..Texas a little far for me (Newport News, VA)

Auspex

Sounds like fun..Texas a little far for me (Newport News, VA)

Time and space are different in Texas...

Boneman007

We had a great hunt. I took them to a Britton location in Dallas that has very restricted access, and we did well.

I think Lene ended up with about 15 Notopocorhystes dicrus crabs, a Linuparis grimmeri lobster partial carapace, a half dozen Upogebia shrimp, a couple of almost Metoiococeras ammonites, a few complete Yezoites delicatus, complete Worthoceras and a couple of nice Allocrioceras heteromorph ammonites (Both females and males). There was also the VERY rare Cimolectes fish vertebra from about position A8 or so found.

I have hunted the Britton for 20 years and it is my favorite formation. When I take people out from out of state, I usualy just give them everything, because I usually have a number of most species already. I was VERY VERY VERY lucky to have found two specimens that day that I kept. The first is my first Scaphites carlislensis from the Britton formation, and a lobster claw that I have never found before.

While the Scaphites is a long time desire, the crab claw was the big find. While most crab carapaces from the Britton are no more than 2 inches long, this claw is a siccor type and It's about 3 inches long!

There is a lobster in the Texas cretaceous that has a claw like this one (the other claw being more "normal" looking, but HUGE). It is normally found in the lower cretaceous (paw paw formationish).

The Britton formation is 25 million years younger than the pawpaw, so Ill have to do some research to see if the range of the lobster extends that far.

They also got to experience the full Texas experience. Within 5 minutes, Lene had picked up a rock with a scorpion attached. We also had a coyote running around us trying to bring down some birds. I believe that there were some snakes found too. Add in the bobcat tracks, and you've got the whole Dallas fossil hunting experience!

And to Lene:

I very much enjoyed you and your families' company. It was a truly enjoyable day!

Edited by Boneman007

DigginIt

Yes, WOW! What a cool experience we had! I am home now and finally unpacked. I figured I would have a tough time getting back to the forum first to thank YOU Brent. I see that you have posted the scientific names for our finds (Brent gave me several pieces that HE found, not I ). Yay, I can look them up and assign them to my specimens! ;D I enjoyed the day very much. I was operating on two hours of sleep but, NOTHING was going to stop me from going. I was worried that the weather report would be fulfilled and we would get rained out from the trip. I told my family that I would go EVEN if I were guaranteed to be struck by lightning, lol! Thank you so much, Brent, for sharing so much with us! We all enjoyed ourselves. My cousin Patrick was very glad he came. He found you to be an awesome guy and was "intrigued" by all that you shared with us of your awesome collection.Even though ,he was not initially interested in fossils per se. My neice, Shasta was also . After we got home, she somewhat regretted not getting down in the dirt to pick some up herself. She was running on little sleep also and wanted to take the day easily. I'm sure, she WILL be a diggin' fiend next time too, lol! I gave some pieces to my Cousin Kim, whom is a grade school teacher and wanted to share with her class. ;D

Trying to wind down last night, I began etching away at one of the crabs that was encased in hard clay. It has at LEAST one of its claws attached and appears that I may be revealing the other one that seems to be stuck flat to its side! I'll post pics below, I'm trying to figure out how.When I try to, the page asks for an URL. so, I'm reading posts on how to get them here. I took a few pics of each type of item so far but not of each item.

It was awesome that Brent picked up what I think was the Scaphites carlislensis before we even got 50 ft into the fossil bed! He said that he was completely satisfied with the hunt already , yay! LOL, I did not KNOW that those were bobcat tracks! I saw them but, assumed they belonged to the Coyote! Had I counted the pads on the paw, I might have figured that out, WHEW!

Don't forget to take Patrick up on that invite to be up close to the rodeo, he MEANT it. He very much enjoyed your company and told me that he hopes you do take him up on it ( My cousin is a camera man for the rodeo each year). When that season hits, I'll be reminding him to revisit that invite.

Yes, it was a full experience for us all. I hope to meet up again some day Brent. If you are ever down my way, maybe we could get you digging for gemstones, too! :D

DigginIt

I'm going to try posting pics in a new post entitled " My first finds. Britton Formation" in the "Fossil Hunts" section :)

DigginIt

I have been trying, painstakingly, according to posts I am reading but cannot get the pics up. I have them resized but am not permitted by the site to upload them. Sorry! I'll try again later. After I get my errands done. :wacko:

Auspex

If you are trying to post them in a topic, there is no system impediment to your doing so.

DigginIt

Thank you. But, when I choose the picture icon, a box asks me for an URL. And when I try to start a 'new album" in my profile, I am asked to select a parent album but, have none to select from.

Auspex

Creating an album is another function from posting pictures in a topic. There is a brief, automatic delay in access to creating a gallery (an anti-spammer strategy). You are near the permission set now for gallery access, or you can post pictures immediately in topics on the forums. :)

DigginIt

Thank you. I have been reading , following and am trying to post in this topic but cannot. For example, right now, when I use the image button, I am asked for an URL and it is the only option I am offered. When I try to start a new post and use the attachment button , I get the message, "you are not permitted to upload this type of file. "