Star-Shaped Trace Fossils

piranha

Here are two fun fossils from the Pennsylvanian Breathitt Formation in eastern Kentucky. Upon first glance they look like possible Asteriacites sp., starfish resting traces. In fact, they are Asterosoma sp., deposit-feeding worm burrows. These star-shaped ichnofossils are a welcome addition for research and study. Enjoy the new 'stars' to my collection. :D

post-4301-0-49321500-1331338955_thumb.jpg

Paleoecology of an Estuarine Sequence in the Breathitt Formation (Pennsylvanian), Central Appalachian Basin

PALAIOS, Vol. 9, No. 4 (Aug., 1994), pp. 388-402 - Authors: Stephen F. Greb and Donald R. Chesnut, Jr.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Those are nice, well defined examples; way to collect!

(This may be the first thing you've posted that I pretty much knew what it is :) )

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am at very high risk of succumbing to ichno fever; it's all too cool...ahhhh, the collection one could amass! If I had the space, I'd be all over it!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Reminds me of a type of feeding trace. Gathering around them from one spot. What is the matrix composed of?

You are correct... 'deposit-feeding worm burrows' was a vague description. Thanks for clarifying that point. Reading through the paper indicates that Asterosoma occur in claystones, interbedded sandstone / shale facies and the most robust examples found abundantly in fine-grained sandstones. Although sedimentology is not my long suit, I'd have to go with the latter in this case.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

It is amazing that a simple brain worm can generate such exquisite complex geometric burrows....

Congratulation on the find!

• 7 months later...

I have found something I was told was a trace fossil bit still unsure. It is in slate and looks almost like a flower with petals instead of trace or star shaped

can anyone jelp

I have found something I was told was a trace fossil bit still unsure. It is in slate and looks almost like a flower with petals instead of trace or star shaped

can anyone jelp

Take some images and post them in the ID section.. There is a good chance it can be identified..

Welcome to the forum!

Excellent and interesting addition.. I would not have had a clue but now I

know what it is I can't believe I didn't know.. :)

Welcome to the forum!

Scott... How weird being so symetrical... Ive never noticed any like that before, Very nice....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived