Hunting Trilobites

Fred

Given the fact that most of you know and like Moroccan trilobites (I know I do), I thought it would be interesting to share my May 2008 hunting trip there with you all. I covered this trip in dutch on our website www.fossiel.net (offcourse, you're all welcome to pay us a visit, we do speak english), so I'll translate it.

First of all: I only did a couple of days of fossil hunting, the rest of my stay was spent on hiking and sightseeing with my partner.

These are the classic fakes and/or composites, encountered in virtually every moroccon fossil store. People actually buy them.

174989263Marokfossilb-2.jpg

1874598068Marokfossilb-1.jpg

This ammo is dodgy, she thinks. O yes.

The first fossils we encountered in the field (by accident) were actually ripple marks:

854326156Marokfossilb-3.jpg

1055577050Marokfossilb-4.jpg

Then for some serious collecting. This is an Ordovician locality (Fezouata fm.).

20768300452557539633-6701d2e092-b.jpg

40844801Marokfossilb-5.jpg

Some findings:

902484118Marokfossil-3.jpg

853528953Marokfossil-4.jpg

919156551Marokfossil-7.jpg

36983767Marokfossil-9.jpg

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

Another locality, looking for orthocones and stone tools:

162247495Marokfossilb-7.jpg

And a third locality, a typical devonian outcrop. Look how the layers containing rare or spectacular species are dug out over the years. Pits can easily be 5 meters deep!

81033633Marokfossilb-8.jpg

1680591818Marokfossilb-9.jpg

Typical devonian finds:

507767505Marokfossil-1.jpg

1582687662Marokfossil-6.jpg

1133552573Marokfossil-11.jpg

Another location yielded the well-known Flexicalymene spp.

In the field, they look like this:

1455323570Marokfossilb-11.jpg

Remember, you're never alone out there, so take care! (for me however, being an ecologist, such encounters are nearly always very pleasant experiences):

1871349248Marokfossilb-14.jpg

LogoS.png

Amazing post, thanks a lot for sharing the pictures! i have always wanted to see some of the places where the real trilobites are found in Morroco!. Very interesting and some beautiful specimins!

Again thanks for sharing!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Wow! Nice pictures and place! I heard of that place but its the first time for me to see the land......lot of rocks in some kind of dessert...weird! Fossil hunters's vacation! I would love to go there to search for triobites! Cool!

That's what REAL trilobites look like! Thanks!!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice , jealous .

Trilobites to me are far more interesting than most fossils , very old , and bugs .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Thaks for the appreciation. This visit was more or less intended for orienting purposes. I managed to locate some interesting collecting sites, and I certainly plan to visit Morocco again for a week of serious collecting.

More pictures can be seen here (also on page 2 and 3).

Concerning fake trilobites, once you get the hang of it, identifying fakes is generally not that hard. It is however important to be able to see the fossil 'in person' and to examine fine details. Therefore, buying from the internet always poses risks (exept for the really reliable sources).

LogoS.png

• 2 weeks later...

Now that is the place to go on vacation! Wonderful specimens and great pics. I have just the hat to ware there too it's has a really wide brim.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

What a fantastic trip, and so good to see what the hunting is like there.

Your camera sure captured that trilobite eye. Good to see up that close.

Welcome to the forum!