Securing Fossils To A Frame?

-Andy-

Hi all,

what method of sticking fossils to the back frame of a photo frame would you guys recommend?

I have got several deep photo frames with 40mm of gap between the glass and the backframe which I intend to convert to fossil display boxes. Filling the boxes up with wool doesn't work as these are not riker boxes, I can only remove the back frame, not the front glass.

I 've thought of using double sided tape or sticky/blue/white/construction tack to stick the fossils onto the back frame, however I 've got several matrix type fossils which are highly porous, and either method would end up ruining the fossils if I ever decide to remove them.

Does anyone know how else I can secure fossils to the back frame of the photo frames?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

not sure but since one of the preppers at the NJ State museum told me to use elmers glue to glue together the bone pieces I found at one of their digs, because its water soluble and reversible, it may be ok to use for adhearing to your picture frame backings

First of all I would only glue specimens I considered just for display. My best specimens are only numbered and then kept in boxes or drawers so that they can be handled and viewed from all sides. I have a display of regional fossils I use for outreach events and I have them all glued to a foam core back panel with hot glue. The case is normally sitting flat on a table but it can be stood up on end. There are some heavy specimens mounted this way.

I would go with the Elmer's glue, when dry it is pretty strong. And can be removed a lot easier. I never thought about framing a fossil but I found a Trilobite that was so good that I put it on a bolo to display it around my neck. I used Elmer's glue to mount this and it has been on for years.

post-6251-0-81970700-1331595876_thumb.png

not sure but since one of the preppers at the NJ State museum told me to use elmers glue to glue together the bone pieces I found at one of their digs, because its water soluble and reversible, it may be ok to use for adhearing to your picture frame backings

I've attached hundreds of shark teeth (up to 3" +) to a backer board with Elmer's glue and never had a problem.

If you would prefer not to glue them it is possible to use a picture frame like a Ryker mount by replacing the cardboard on the back with something firmer like very thin plywood. To load the frame you place it glass side down, put the fossils good-side down on the glass then lay the foam in place. Before you attach the back you can lay thin spacers against the foam mashing them down to make sure they will fit inside the back with enough pressure to hold the fossil in place. You then secure the back with flathead woodscrews so it's easy to remove if you need to make adjustments. When I've done this I had to use thicker glass like windowpane glass to handle the pressure without breaking.

Archived