kmrfossil

Andalusia, Alabama

kmrfossil

I'm in Andalusia, Alabama and want to know how to get behind the dam. The dam area is restricted? Anyone out there who can help me out?

Foshunter

There is a fence that keeps cars from driving to the back side of the dam. The fence has a walk through to access the path to the spillway and river, the restricted sign is for other people not you, have fun.--Tom

kmrfossil

You sure ... I don't want to have to call my family to bail me out for tresspassing!

Foshunter

A lot of people go to the spillway just to fish, that is why there is a parking area, Just go through the gate opening and stay to the left that looks like an old road and walk to the river. The clay is a little slick when you get to the river bank so be careful. I passed over the river coming back from Georgia yesterday and it looks like they are letting water out of the lake so don't know what the fossil hunting will be like. If you do get busted, I heard the food is good---Just kidding---Have a good hunt--Tom

Beckyb

I have hear for year that people go there with out permission. The group I went with did get permission. I can find out for you if you would like.

E.T.

I've been there before, we parked to the left, before the gate, and just walked down there. Yes, the clay is extremely slippery so be careful and walk slowly or you'll be on your butt really fast. :) Not sure what the rules are for collecting there, but I do know there is a loud alarm/horn that goes off and you have a couple minutes to get yourself and all of your gear up the bank a good 20 feet, before they open the dam gates and release the water.

The lady at the gas station there also told me there have been Native American arrow heads, spear heads, and pottery pulled out of the river.

K-lover

Technically in Alabama you can collect from the river bed, but you cannot dig into the bank. However, that is what most people do at this spot. I have collected there before and have never been bothered.

calamite

This seems to be a good place for collecting. Thanks all for your good tips. I wonder when is the best time of the year to go there.

Corvair1

Can you describe where you go, driving north on 29 from Andalusia to get to the parking area? Do you cross the bridge first and then, is it on the left or the right? Once parked, where to from there?