Sign in to follow this  
catmaggie

Cumberland Island

catmaggie

Anyone know how often/when the spoil piles are replinished? We talked to fernandina beach engineers this wkend and it sounds like they dredge the st marys every couple of years, but either dump out at sea, or on cumberland? Corp of engineers site?

meredithstudio

On Amelia island the beach renewal project was halted for budget reasons by Nassau County. They pumped sand as far south as the pier below Sadler Beach. Frankly, they didn't do us any favors. The beach used to be rich with large teeth and fossils but unfortunately all I find on the north end of the island is tiny bits and broken pieces.

I've never seen the dredges pumping to Cumberland. Earlier this year they were on the south-west side of St. Mary's inlet in the ICW, Fernandina River, pumping sand onto the beaches of the small islands and marsh lands.

I was just on Cumberland this week, the beaches are pretty void of teeth, shells and fossils. It gets a little better on the southern tip opposite the fort along the inlet shore.

catmaggie

Thank you! We head there this wkend in hopes of finding some spoil piles....I imagine the Cumberland piles have been picked over if no new dredge?

Fiwi

My son and I found these on Cumberland Island today :) I don't know about the dredge piles, but there are plenty in the sand!

1424267_10152024391862247_1536460203_n.j

1393588_10152024391737247_798669512_n.jp

Edited by Fiwi

catmaggie

Anyone have intel on Cumberland Island, if there are still "spoil piles" out there that are used for road renourishment? Last time we went, the piles were pretty small.