Fossilised Mushroom

jenjen14

What does the hot needle determine?

Whether it is highly mineralized, or still composed of organic material. Does it seem "woody"? My working hypothesis is that it is a mushroom "mummy".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Its older than a few summers ago. If you read the very first post, my Dad found it 15 years ago. Hasnt been any big rains the whole time my family has had the farm.

Forgive us; in the context of fossils, 15 years ago is yesterday. When on this forum, our minds operate in deep-time.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Google it.

Since when does the prefix "sub" mean "non"?

After reading about it, basically a subfossil is not a fossil. It is just old, but not yet fossilized.

There is a better way of stating this. In coon Creek, the remains are cretaceous, but not fossils. They are just simply 68+ million year old natural shells and snails.

Calling them subfossils is just dirtying up the clean water.

Edited by Boneman007

I think it looks like a mummified mushroom. I don't think it could survive 10,000 years in the soil anywhere that crops could grow, but a subfossil is possible. If I was a scientist that did such things, I would DNA test it and check its carbon date age.

I think it looks like a mummified mushroom. I don't think it could survive 10,000 years in the soil anywhere that crops could grow, but a subfossil is possible. If I was a scientist that did such things, I would DNA test it and check its carbon date age.

The land was not used for cropping at the time of the find. It was in the process of being cleared for cropping. Do you know if it is possible to carbon date it?

After reading about it, it basically a subfossil is not a fossil. It is just old, but not yet fossilized.

There is a better way of stating this. In coon Creek, the remains are cretaceous, but not fossils. They are just simply shells.

After reading about it, it basically a subfossil is not a fossil. It is just old, but not yet fossilized.

There is a better way of stating this. In coon Creek, the remains are cretaceous, but not fossils. They are just simply shells.

Do not make the common mistake of thinking fossils have to be mineralized. Amber is not mineralized, bone, frozen mammoth meat,etc but they are all fossils. A 9,000 year old skull would qualify as a sub-fossil.

When did I say sub meant non???

Today, fossil means the remains of blah, blah, over 10,000 yrs old. 'Fossilized' is generally meant as bone/shell, etc, replaced by minerals. 'Fossil' does not mean mineralised though.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

For an update: I emailed a Dr at Natural History Museum of LA who is from Australia. He agrees with the SA museum that it is a subfossil (only through photos). He gave me the contact details of a world recognised authority of fossil plants, who I have emailed and may take it in for him to see.

Duh!

I just had a idea that will end this argument.

Put the specimen in a glass of water. If it looks exactly the same in the morning, it's no longer a mushroom. That isnt to say its a fossil, its just not a dehydrated mushroom.

If it is just a old mushroom, it will rehydrate and you will know.

The definition I find most useful for fossils is the age-based one, not the mineralogy-based one. A fossil need not be mineralized, merely older than 10k years old. It's no more arbitrary than deciding where the ends of a day or a year are. coon Creek shells are most certainly fossils in my eyes.

After reading about it, basically a subfossil is not a fossil. It is just old, but not yet fossilized.

There is a better way of stating this. In coon Creek, the remains are cretaceous, but not fossils. They are just simply 68+ million year old natural shells and snails.

WOW! Back to back , walk 20 paces, turn and fire.

I would think that if jellyfish, which have no hard parts at all can fossilize in the Cambrian, and bark,roots and leaves can fossilize in the Penn. than a woody mushroom could fossilize if buried in an anarobic (sp?) environment. They rot quickly so they would have to be burried fast. But seems possible to me. I'm rooting (no pun intended) for it to be a fossil, but in my heart I think it is mummified.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 1 month later...

So what were to over all results of this? I am dying to know LOL.

I found this searching about storage (weird I know) read the thread and I have no ending :(

It looks cool regardless if it is mummy or fossil.

Robert
Southeast, MO

I'd guess the original poster wasn't into fossils, but just curious as to what she has. It's not uncommon for someone to join looking for answers, then bowing out when satisfied, or not.

If she followed through with what she said in her last post, she probably got her answer, and really has no obligation to come back to update us, but that would be cool if she did!

BTW, I stand by my previous post, as well as those that were along the same lines. Particularly Interpaleo's technical way of saying the same thing. If I'm wrong, I'd like to know.

Edited by Bullsnake

Steve

I don’t believe this a fossil, but I do believe it is a fungus. I suspect it’s an example of a rather obscure modern fungus known colloquially as the “stone-making fungus”, which occurs only in Australia.

I have put the original item (left) alongside a picture of this fungus (right) for reference. It has now been assigned to Polyporus, but the original nomenclature “Laccocephalum basilapiloides McAlpine & Tepper, 1895” takes precedence.

post-6208-0-45599900-1335776802_thumb.jpg

The find area for the specimen (sandy soil, dry South Australian outback) correlates well with its principal habitat (Mallee scrub, South Australia). The morphology looks good too, and….

…. this fungus has an unusually hard and woody pileus. The name “stone-making fungus” derives from its habit of forming a mycelial ball of cemented soil and sand grains which have the appearance and consistency of a sandstone concretion.

More here, in wiki:

http://en.wikipedia...._basilapidoides

Painshill

• I found this Informative 1

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Hi,

I never replied because I never found out any more information. Thanks for that about the mushroom. But does that explain why it's lasted for so many years? I know it's not a fossil.

Hi,

I never replied because I never found out any more information. Thanks for that about the mushroom. But does that explain why it's lasted for so many years? I know it's not a fossil.

I would say so. Once dry, it will pretty much last forever as long as it doesn't get infested with insect larvae. The "stone" portion is close to indestructible. Some species of these fungi are fireproof and actually need a brushfire to reproduce. They produce new fruiting bodies from the underground cemented mycelial mass.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Top drawer research; thank you, Painshill! :goodjob: