Sign in to follow this  
richardfulton

Gettysburg, Pa

richardfulton

Attached is a link about the remains of a giant Triassic amphibian my wife and I found in Gettysburg Borough, Pa., a few years ago. We're still excavating parts of the skull. http://newspaperarchive.com/gettysburg-times/2009-08-03

The article is at the bottom of the front page.

Boneman007

I never could get a decent view of the article. The newspaper program just ran forever and never would let me see the actual text.

Sounds cool, tho!

Auspex
BY RICK FULTON Times Staff Writer Waves of storms that have pummeled the area during the past several weeks have exposed more early dinosaur age bones at the only known fossil site that has ever been found within Gettysburg Borough. Several slabs of dense sandstone containing the bones of a giant amphibian that lived about 215 million years ago in a large stream that ran through what would one day become Gettysburg were recovered last week, along with a four- inch jaw section. Dr. Robert Sullivan, State Museum in Harrisburg, has tentatively identified the giant, prehistoric amphibian as Buettneria, a creature that could grow up to six feet in length and lived alongside of the early dinosaurs during what geologists refer to as the Late Triassic Period. The one- of- a- kind fossil site was discovered by the Times staff writer while working on a graffiti story for the newspaper. The initial finds consisted of lizard and reptile tracks. The first bone, a jaw, was discovered at the site by William E. Kochanov, senior geologist with the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. Since then, a number of bones, and skull and jaw sections have been recovered by the reporter and Cathe Curtis, who is also the chief of recovery at the 145- acre Late Triassic Fulton Site in Maryland. It is believed the giant amphibian came to be buried in the Gettysburg fossil site after it died in a stream 215 million years ago, its body becoming stranded on a sand shoal in a mud bottom creek. There, the body ultimately fell apart, the bones becoming scattered along the shoal. All specimens recovered will eventually be sent to the State Museum in Harrisburg. The actual location of the fossil site has not been revealed because of site security issues. When recovery efforts are essentially complete, the reporter may be seeking to have the site marked with historic signage. VOL. 107, NO. 183 GETTYSBURG, PENNSYLVANIA MONDAY, AUGUST 3, 2009

richardfulton

That works a little better than that slow loading pdf stuff! Thanks! There is a shot of a jaw on page three of that issue.

Edited by richardfulton

Boneman007

Great Story!

Phacopsfinder

Hi Rick: I heard about this find along the creek. I was involved in the rather recent dinosaur trackway discovered in Fairfield. Have any more success with the Brutnerria find after further water erosion?