jmkhiggs

Kinsale ----> South

jmkhiggs

I haven't hunted any farther south than Currioman Bay on the Potomac and I'm wondering if there are any good locations down river.

Edited by jmkhiggs

hokiehunter

The only legal spots I know to publicly collect from Colonial Beach south are the small beaches in Westmoreland (boat launch area and shark tooth beach) and the small beach in front of Stratford Hall between the cliffs. You can also pay a yearly membership fee (around $120) and get access to shark tooth island in Currioman Bay but it is mainly small teeth and heavily worked by boaters in the the summer. Unless you have permission pretty much everywhere else you set foot on land in VA you are trespassing. I'd recommend you look up north of the 301 on the MD side if you are looking for new territory. Easy drive for you and some nice transitional stuff can be had up that direction and the MD laws are much kinder regarding access.

jmkhiggs

Thanks Hokie. I mostly hunt from my kayak and don't set foot on land much. I have hunted Sharks Tooth Island and would agree that the teeth are for the most part small, but very plentyfull, and that area is where I've found most of my collection. The large vert was just off of the bluff inside the bay, in very shallow water. I'll check out the MD side above the bridge later this week. Do you know of a good place to drop in? Maybe close to Capitan Billy's?

CrocodileJen

This website lists guided tours, and they do many hunts in your area. I am going on one in June (it's full, sorry) that has permission to look along the restricted areas of Stratford Hall. So you might have some luck there, since they can get you places that are normally off-limits. Good luck!

http://www.fossilandnaturetrips.com/