Nova Scotia Hunting Permits.

Guest Nicholas

I see a problem here...

"All materials recovered become the property of the Province of

Nova Scotia and must be delivered upon request to the Museum

or to any other public institution the Executive Director may

designate. Such materials must be cleaned, numbered and

recorded on standard field record forms."

This is not the way to encourage cooperation. If the goal really is to insure that privately collected fossils will get exposed to scientific study and public view, it will fail, insomuch as it will surely drive private collecting underground.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have seen some really dumb laws come out of Canada regarding fossils and this is just another example. First, I am sure that most Canadians are not aware of these stupid laws. Some politician got together with some paleontologist that thinks all fossils belong to him and secretly passed this law. Who do these people think they are to tell private land owners what they can do on their property? The really crazy thing about this law, as I read it, is that it affect a quarry operation. So whoever wrote the law would rather see the fossils destroyed that collected.

Fortunately, not all Canadian paleontologists are like that. I once had a paleontologist at my home from the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum). He was recording all the Canadian stuff in my collection for future reference. I knew the law regarding the removal of fossils from Canada and asked him if he planned on doing anything about stopping us (me and my friends). He said "absoultey not". He would rather see the fossils in the states and at least have access to them, than the crusher getting them and no one having acces to them. That is what is happening in Nova Scotia, if I read the law correctly.