Little Theropod Tooth Id

Theropod

Hi,

I recently acquired this small theropod tooth. It is from Hell Creek, South Dakota.

What is interesting about this little tooth is that it has a very rounded base and large serrations compared to tooth size. I tried to have it ID'd but I got multiple answers like Troodon, Dromaeosaur, or even the hatchling of a large theropod (Tyrannosaurus.)

The tooth measures 3/16".

Thanks! Any help would be appreciated.

That is an interesting little tooth. The pictures are out of focus, though - try using the macro (flower) button on your camera, and more light. Such a tiny tooth would often be from Richardoestesia, but your denticles (serrations) are much too large for that. And they are not hooked like a Troodon. This leaves dromaeosaurs and tyrannosaurs. From the fuzzy photos, they do kind of seem to be the right shape for a tyrannosaur. That would be an adorable baby. A bottom view showing its cross-sectional shape would be helpful, too.

This leaves dromaeosaurs and tyrannosaurs. From the fuzzy photos, they do kind of seem to be the right shape for a tyrannosaur. That would be an adorable baby. A bottom view showing its cross-sectional shape would be helpful, too.

I thought the backwards shape looked somewhat like a tyrannosaur's. I'm sorry the photos were out of focus. They were taken from a magnifying glass. The tooth is REALLY small. :blink:

I have a cross-section photo, I forgot to upload it :wacko:

Here it is:

Well, I got a second opinion, and he thinks the denticles look more like bird or Troodon than Tyrannosaurus. So we'll need to see the denticles in better focus. Try using the macro camera setting with and without the magnifying glass; if you hold the camera steady enough, with good lighting or flash, you may get better results without the magnifying glass.

Is the side of the tooth without denticles slightly broken, and should have a more typical convex curving shape, or is that the true complete outline of the tooth?

Definitely Troodontid (not 100% sure if it can be identified as Troodon specifically, but definitely Troodontid).

Well, I got a second opinion, and he thinks the denticles look more like bird or Troodon than Tyrannosaurus. So we'll need to see the denticles in better focus.

I used a better camera for these. Can you see the side now? The side is smooth and convex.

I used a better camera for these. Can you see the side now? The side is smooth and convex.

More light, and closer cropping, will be required.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!