Crinoid Corner

Roz

Well, have found lots of crinoid stems but this one is shaped different.

All my other stems have a smooth surface on the outer area. I was

wondering if anyone knows why? post-13-1220825845_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Actually, yes, I do know why. It's not well, known, but the crinoids in the area of Texas west of Ft. Worth were decent and loving creatures, and their columnar segments were smooth and ordinary, which suited them fine.

But somehow, a group of young crinoids started getting wild, associating with the wrong elements, and forming strange countercultures. A group of them moved further south and further west, and those crinoids started wearing spikey punk jewelry on their stems. What you've found there is a punk crinoid columnar segment. They got so "out there" that I really think of them as a different species.

Yeah, really. Below is sort of a shocking photo, of punk crinoids hanging out with good kids going bad. They've obviously been eating acorns, and just so you'll know, acorn breath is a sign of delinquency in young crinoids...

post-488-1220827510_thumb.jpg

i hope you're not letting your children look at these posts...

OK, another picture. These items were found near where the punkonoids were hanging out. They are obviously weapons. Punkonoids used several different styles of clubs. Note too that some are smooth and some are textured, which was probably meant to symbolize whom they intended to clock in the calyx with the weapon...

post-488-1220827659_thumb.jpg

Dang, in that first pic you didn't mention the twins.

Will miracles never cease?

Would those weapons (clubs) the punkonoids use, be known

under another name? Haven't found any of those weapons yet.

The top of one of those clubs looks like horn coral but

the rest of it doesn't.

Welcome to the forum!

Roz, the best I can find out so far on that crinoid is that it is from the Winchell formation and the age is Missourian.

Hey thanks, Lance. Well ya found out more than

I knew. Well, good to know the formation of ( site

305 then.) :D

Welcome to the forum!

Roz - the four "clubs" of the same type are tegmen spines from crinoids. It is felt that crinoids evolved spines due to predation from a number of critters. By the way, you've probably found, or will find, crinoid stem sections with "swollen" areas and borings in them. It is believed that those were non-fatal attacks by boring sponges. I have found these also in north Texas. I don't know the species of the different crinoids or how to identify them by their stems. I've found at least three or four different types up there, but don't know what they are.

The other "club" in my picture is, I believe, perhaps a tabulipora bryozoa colony.

Thanks, Tracer. It makes sense about the clubs (spines). The only thing

is, they look so large in relation to crinoids. I can't picture where

they were attached. Looked online but could not find an image to

place them.

About 6 months ago, I found a brachipod that had spines. My first like that.

Prior, did not know they had them.

Welcome to the forum!

the spines attached at the tegmen. For some reason the crinoids wanted their mouths near their butts, and I guess that um, sensitive area was what needed protecting the most, so that's where the spines were.

apparently, in the really old days, there were just a bunch of things like crinoids and sponges, having a good old time and waving at each other all day long. but then at some point other critters started getting into the action and realized that crinoids tasted like chicken. that was the beginning of the end, so the crinoids started punking out with armor. then i think something more serious happened. lots of people think giant asteroids have hit the planet or supervolcanoes have erupted or some such and destroyed all the bambi-esque cut little crinoids and dinosaurs and stuff. I really think that what the deal was is that they didn't have cable back them or any other form of recreation so they just all kicked each other's butts out of boredom until nobody was left.

Roz,

If you want to know about crinoid columnals then you nee to acquire a publication by R.C. Moore, R.M. Jeffords and T.H. Miller, Published by The University of Kansas Paleontological Institute, Jan 26, 1968,"The University of Kansas Paleontological Contributions, ECHINODERMATA, Articles 8,9,&10".

Reading this thing is guaranteed to put you to sleep but it has everything you ever wanted to know about crinoid columnals and MORE.

On page 82, Plate 29, fig 10, they describe Heterostelechus keithi, which I believe is the specimen you pictured.

According to the Article those nodes were the attachment scars for arms called Cirri which facilitated mobility, (See Moore, Lalicker, and Fischer, "Invertebrate Fossils" page 612.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Here are some more of Roz's crinoids found at same location. These are very different than the other crinoids found in the county.

post-11-1220869478_thumb.jpg

Thanks, JK. Will see if I can get the publication.

Those authors (Moore) must have written a lot. I think

I have seen his name on may articles. Might have it

on Paleontological Journals online. Think my subscription

hasn't run out yet.

Welcome to the forum!