Todays haul

Metopocetus

So I started out at my normal area and got stopped at Cove Point near the LNG pier...there is an area where the bay cuts through to the marshes behind and with the North wind kicking I couldn't get past without going for a swim. I was there at high tide but I'm sure it would have been passable at low tide. Anyhow here are my finds...

post-680-1220826924_thumb.jpg

2 Megs = worth getting up for; glad to see interest in nice Ecphora and pectin, too.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

2 Megs = worth getting up for; glad to see interest in nice Ecphora and pectin, too.

3 Megs...definitely worth waking up for :). Thats the most I've found in one day.

I started with shells before I collected teeth so when I see them I can't help but pick them up. Plus the pectin is 6" in diameter, haven't seen many bigger than that from the cliffs.

Nice finds. I was wondering if Hannah had helped release some more fossils from their matrix. Thanks for the pics.

It will be nice to see what the people who collect Brownies Beach and south got today. So many teeth up there and other fossils, I can only imagine. I might try going North tomorrow afternoon after school.

I love the Ecphoras. And 3 megs isn't too bad either!!!

How was flag ponds today? I meant to come up there but I just couldn't leave the beach.

How was flag ponds today? I meant to come up there but I just couldn't leave the beach.

I went to Brownie's first thing this morning. I arrived at 5:30 to see 5 cars already in the lot! I hunted til 8:00 then left. On my way out I counted 15 people on the main section of cliffs. I glanced back as I left.... it looked like little ants scurrying around over everything. I only found a few small teeth and a decent hypural. I didn't hunt Flag Ponds but we had a ton of people stop at my fossil display. It was a busy day there. I didn't talk to anyone who had found anything nice today.

I think you are right in your assumption that the middle of the week will be best. There will be time for some wave action to clear some of the sand. At least where I collect there was A LOT of sand on the beach. That is when the good stuff will be found.

Guest bmorefossil

we went to a few places today, found 2 megs, one 2.5 the other 1 3/4, my first mako over 2"!!!! it has a real nice color, 2 bird bones, some nice hemis. a cow shark, i dug out one of the bird bones, a bunch of verts and i also dug out a dolphin or whale ulna that was being destroyed by the waves, i saved it before it got to messed up. but the best finds were the 2 squalodons one being a molar missing only one lobe. i may have also found an artifact but im not sure. the greatest part about the trip was we found all this with 30 people on the beach~!!!!!!!! 3 who had been there since 4am

I love it when there are a bunch of people on the beach and still finding nice fossils. Today some people were walking back and I asked them what they had found. A few pectins, a vert, and a few odds and ends...I walked about 50 feet and found the biggest meg of the day. 2 3/4

Now I am jealous, I have never found squalodon. Sounds like great finds, I do hope there are pictures to follow.

Each of your bird bones is a humerus; the intact one appears to be from a rather small member of the

Alcidae (Auk family). The other will be harder to nail down, as the proximal end is missing.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!