Sign in to follow this  
nac1024

Where To Look For Trilobites

nac1024

Hello,

Was wondering if there were any tricks for spotting triliobite?? Where is the best place to look? I was thinking of heading to Ceasar Creek State Park near Cincinnati for a day and would love to find a trilobite, but have no idea where or what to look for. Any tricks or secrets that you are willing to divluge would be most appreciated!

Caleb

The only tip for Caesar Creek I have is... look small, very small. Here are 3 flexi's I found there in my brief visit last fall.

http://www.thefossil...ttach_id=113963

nac1024

Caleb,

Wow, no kidding! :) Thanks for sharing your find! Very cool!

To all,

Would I be better off just waiting for fossil park to open up and sift through the piles the local quarries drop off on the first day they are open?

squalicorax

Have you been to Sylvania Fossil Park in Sylvania OH?

Also most of the quarries in your area are jammed pack with trilobites. Call around.

glacialerratic

You're not too far from Arkona Ontario & Hungry Hollow, a great place to hunt for trilobites in the Dev.!

Rt. 1/Brookeville IN., if you're up for a drive, is an awesome series of road cuts in the Ord.

nac1024

Have you been to Sylvania Fossil Park in Sylvania OH?

Also most of the quarries in your area are jammed pack with trilobites. Call around.

No have not been to Fossil park, yet. Wondering if it is good? Says it is not open until the 7th of April so I will have to wait to go until then.

I was under the impression that the quarries were off limits, but maybe I should try calling them. Thanks for your input!

nac1024

You're not too far from Arkona Ontario & Hungry Hollow, a great place to hunt for trilobites in the Dev.!

Rt. 1/Brookeville IN., if you're up for a drive, is an awesome series of road cuts in the Ord.

Funny you mention this place I was just reading about it yesterday. Seems like an awesome place! The only problem is like you I live in the states so how is it coming back to the U.S. with a box full of fossils? I seem to have a hard time crossing the border for some reason. Every time I try they always stop me. The last time they actually took me to a room and patted me down (had my junk grabbed 4 times). Was miserable. Swore I would never bother again. I guess I look guilty or something.

Edited by nac1024

glacialerratic

Every time I try they always stop me.

Seriously? They seem pretty chill at the Maysville station.

I would recommend getting a Fast Pass Drivers License. They are $45, but act as a passport with an RFID chip and can be read with a swipe. The Border Patrol, State Troopers, and Police love them, as they give instant info on you.

crinus

Have you thought about joining the local fossil club (aka FUMMP). We get into some local (matter of opinion what is actually local) quarries once in a while. In fact, our next trip to a "local" quarry with trilobite is on April 14th.

crinus

art

I have been to fossil park, and there are lots of trilobite.....pieces. I have only seen one whole trilobite a lucky kid got.

Lots of brachiopods, crinoid stems, bryzoans and horn coral.

A decent amount of pyrite also.

The quarry that supplies the park is off limits. I tried to buy a truckload of the same fossil bearing material from the quarry, but due to their agreement with the oleander parks I couldn't.

Edited by art

squalicorax

I have been to fossil park, and there are lots of trilobite.....pieces. I have only seen one whole trilobite a lucky kid got.

Lots of brachiopods, crinoid stems, bryzoans and horn coral.

A decent amount of pyrite also.

The quarry that supplies the park is off limits. I tried to buy a truckload of the same fossil bearing material from the quarry, but due to their agreement with the oleander parks I couldn't.

Thanks for the report. What are the quality of brachiopods found there?

I know you have to work for complete trilobites by constantly splitting shales.

I like your quest to get a truckfull of material. You should try a different quarry in the area like the Paulding OH one. They have extremely fossiliferous material in their quarry and might be able to help you out.

art

The quality of the brachiopods is good, with many species represented.. Some still seem to have the original shell.

mun47

You should try peninsula point in the UP. Trilobites are very common, as well as other fossils. The entire area is made of limestone. It is quite a trip, but totally worth it.