What Kind Of Bison Are These?

shorefisherman

DEAD ONES.

No but really they look to me to be very old Bison bison but the guy in the front has me leaning towards Bison antiquus an Ice Age species for him.

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

I'd like to see photos of the 24" on the rear left. The others appear to be Bison bison, though there can be a ton of overlap. The one on the rear left has me thinking small antiquus due to the greatly drooping horns.

Of course, it could be the photo angle. The best angle for photographing bison skulls is from directly overhead as they sit on the ground. Also, the curvature of the forehead can help. B. antiquus seemed to have a more bulbous forehead.

One guy's opinion. Bison species are controversial.

Attached is a photo from directly overhead of a Bison bison. The guy is 24" across. I'm slowly learning not to let horn spans dictate species. From what I recall, a 32" is the largest taken down by a hunter. That's bigger than many Bison antiquus skulls.

post-741-0-29322400-1333212039_thumb.jpg

Here's one that is about 29" across. This one has B antiquus traits, but I'm leaning toward large, elderly Bison bison, given the oddities of his bone texture (not really visible in the photo) and the fact his horns are raised so much above his head.

post-741-0-33531600-1333212256_thumb.jpg

Edited by 32fordboy

Here is a definite Bison antiquus. The horn span would have been anywhere from 39" to 41" if complete.

From the dead-on top view, you'll notice the horns don't point up anywhere near as much as Bison bison. You'll also notice the horns don't point rearward, as they supposedly do in Bison antiquus occidentalis (which some people claim doesn't even exist). Also, notice the tremendous robustness of the horns and skull in general.

This skull is more robust than the 46" Bison priscus.

post-741-0-42850300-1333212331_thumb.jpg

post-741-0-34165800-1333212349_thumb.jpg

Edited by 32fordboy

If Bison occidentalis/Bison antiquus occidentalis actually does exist, I expect his horns are less robust than Bison antiquus, they probably point rearward (in the same plane as nose-to-forehead), and the horns, from the dead-on top view might look like Bison antiquus (pointing more to the side and less to the sky).

Hopefully this helps. Nobody seems to have a definitive answer for a lot of the skulls since traits are shared and there is a ton of individual variation. Here is a family portrait for reference.

Front center: Bison bison appx 24"

Second center: Bison bison??? appx 29"

Left: Bison antiquus 100% guarantee...appx 39-40" if complete

Right: Shares traits of Bison antiquus and Bison bison, assuming small B antiquus. appx 29"

Second from rear: Bison priscus alaskensis +/- 33"

Rear: European Bison priscus 46"

post-741-0-28158400-1333212816_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1