Need Help What Kind Of Cretaceous Oyster Is This?

Fossils4U

Thank you I agree with you. They are different! If I have to sacrifice one for science I will. I just need to find another one to replace the one i destroy. :blink: I am curious now to see both valves. If you need more pictures just let me know?

It's not G. vomer. But sorry I don't have a link or a good picture of the few G. vomers I have in my collection.

Thank you for everything...

ah well, sorry for a useless link.The threads been interesting to me both for the fine photography, stunning specimens F4U, and cause I'm looking at three or four beautiful examples Fossil Foilist has just sent from NC that I can't wait to shoot and post... :)

This oyster has been looked at for a couple of decades but haven't really heard any conclusions, most experts call it Flemingostrea subspatulata. Apparently the oyster starts out flat and spiny and matures into the deep dish typical Flemingostrea we know. I've seen intermediates at Castle Hayne and in Pender county. Have also heard what we call Flemingostrea subspatulata as Rhynchostreon. It certainly looks like a crassostrea at the flat spiny stage of life. Oysters are oddly variable critters.

All the Gryphostrea vomer I have are smooth. Have Pycnodonte with "side arms?". this isn't either of these.

This oyster has been looked at for a couple of decades but haven't really heard any conclusions, most experts call it Flemingostrea subspatulata. Apparently the oyster starts out flat and spiny and matures into the deep dish typical Flemingostrea we know. I've seen intermediates at Castle Hayne and in Pender county. Have also heard what we call Flemingostrea subspatulata as Rhynchostreon. It certainly looks like a crassostrea at the flat spiny stage of life. Oysters are oddly variable critters.

All the Gryphostrea vomer I have are smooth. Have Pycnodonte with "side arms?". this isn't either of these.

tantalizing, now I really want to read more, is there any reference material you can offer a link to?

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Here are the references in which the original descriptions can be found. Maybe some of you east Coast folks with access to the big libraries can look 'em up.

All I know is that amongst the half dozen reference books I own neither of these are shown to look like Fossils4U's specimens. My library includes both new and old books and papers for what that matters.

Gryphaeostrea vomer (Morton, 1828) [original genus Gryphaea]

Morton, S.G., 1828. American Journal of Science, First Series v. 6, p. 81, pl. 4, fig. 3.

Flemingostrea subspatulata (Forbes, 1845) [original genus Ostrea]

Forbes, E. 1845. Quarterly Journal of Geological Science, London., v. 1, p. 61-62 and figs.

Hi Plax. It is a odd one... Every one that I have ever found or seen of this paticular oyster has always had the arms. I have not seen any in a transitional development stage to make me think that it is a Flemingostrea subspatulata at all and none are over 4 1/2" long. ..

Thank you Erose.. I really appreciate your research into the identification of this species.... I call it the long arm oyster. It is a SCARCE FIND.....

Here are the references in which the original descriptions can be found. Maybe some of you east Coast folks with access to the big libraries can look 'em up.

All I know is that amongst the half dozen reference books I own neither of these are shown to look like Fossils4U's specimens. My library includes both new and old books and papers for what that matters.

Gryphaeostrea vomer (Morton, 1828) [original genus Gryphaea]

Morton, S.G., 1828. American Journal of Science, First Series v. 6, p. 81, pl. 4, fig. 3.

Flemingostrea subspatulata (Forbes, 1845) [original genus Ostrea]

Forbes, E. 1845. Quarterly Journal of Geological Science, London., v. 1, p. 61-62 and figs.

Hey fossils4u,

Flemingostrea subspatulata was described from a trib to the NE Cape Fear quite close by here in Pender county, NC. Stephenson, 1923 describes the cretaceous fossils of NC and has good pics of the species. It's long out of print. Natural exposures don't have the good preservation that quarries seem to have for this oyster. Have seen hints of the spination in natural exposures though.

This could very well be named something else in the future. Am just giving the answer(s) that I've received from paleontologists. Have been showing this oyster around since the'80s. One or two of them thought that a description/explanation should be made but know of no such publication. I made an inquiry to this forum some time ago about cretaceous crassostrea from the Peedee reported in USGS pubs from along the Cape Fear. It was perhaps the only inquiry never to receive a reply! :) Oysters just aren't interesting to most folks. Am glad you're stirring this up and hope you can get someone to do something professionally about this question.

Also, am not sure what the arms are you describe. There are both spiny and smooth forms of your flattish crassostrea-esk oyster in the Rocky Point member. The spiny version just being better preserved. MM Castle hayne and Rocky Point usually have good piles of this sediment along the drainage ditches and occasionally dumped elsewhere.

Don

here's a MD Geological Survey book with vomer and quite a few other species...

Upper Cretaceous ..., Volume 6, Part 1

By Maryland Geological Survey, William Bullock Clark, Marcus Isaac Goldman, Edward Wilber Berry, Julia Anna Gardner, Henry Augustus Pilsbry, Ray Smith Bassler, Lloyd William Stephenson

(pg.579)

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Thank you Plax... I love all forms of fossils and expecialy these oysters... This is one that is attached under the lip of a Flemingostrea subspatulata..

Hey fossils4u,

Flemingostrea subspatulata was described from a trib to the NE Cape Fear quite close by here in Pender county, NC. Stephenson, 1923 describes the cretaceous fossils of NC and has good pics of the species. It's long out of print. Natural exposures don't have the good preservation that quarries seem to have for this oyster. Have seen hints of the spination in natural exposures though.

This could very well be named something else in the future. Am just giving the answer(s) that I've received from paleontologists. Have been showing this oyster around since the'80s. One or two of them thought that a description/explanation should be made but know of no such publication. I made an inquiry to this forum some time ago about cretaceous crassostrea from the Peedee reported in USGS pubs from along the Cape Fear. It was perhaps the only inquiry never to receive a reply! :) Oysters just aren't interesting to most folks. Am glad you're stirring this up and hope you can get someone to do something professionally about this question.

Also, am not sure what the arms are you describe. There are both spiny and smooth forms of your flattish crassostrea-esk oyster in the Rocky Point member. The spiny version just being better preserved. MM Castle hayne and Rocky Point usually have good piles of this sediment along the drainage ditches and occasionally dumped elsewhere.

Don

post-8250-0-14102500-1333575586_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-04765100-1333575682_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-83522700-1333575706_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-66848600-1333575729_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-34122200-1333575737_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-11044500-1333576113_thumb.jpg

Thank you but i can not get the pages to load.. Can you copy and paste the page please? THANK YOU.

here's a MD Geological Survey book with vomer and quite a few other species...

Upper Cretaceous ..., Volume 6, Part 1

By Maryland Geological Survey, William Bullock Clark, Marcus Isaac Goldman, Edward Wilber Berry, Julia Anna Gardner, Henry Augustus Pilsbry, Ray Smith Bassler, Lloyd William Stephenson

(pg.579)

no problem... :)

Img 1

img2

post-4577-0-97226800-1333586290_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

These are from the Rocky Point area. late cretaceous

post-7496-0-68079300-1333585912_thumb.jpg

post-7496-0-04962700-1333585917_thumb.jpg

post-7496-0-30513100-1333585924_thumb.jpg

post-7496-0-27484800-1333585931_thumb.jpg

post-7496-0-18245600-1333585941_thumb.jpg

Fossil Foilist
-----)----------------------

Wow very nice finds.................. I bet your heart almost stoped when you found that one!! Or it beat out of your chest! Ha UNBELIEVABLY, EXTREMELY, SCARCE FIND!!! :drool: :greenwnvy:

These are from the Rocky Point area. late cretaceous

The spines probably Either helped anchor the shell in the substrate or kept carniverous critters off. Or both.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It is hard to tell! Maybe the arms were used to catch the curents and move to feed in diferent areas of the ocean! It all sounds good. Need to find a few more of them for study. :)I have kind of ruled out the anchor theory because the arms are always on the top of the shell only. Maybe for reproductive purposes?

The spines probably Either helped anchor the shell in the substrate or kept carniverous critters off. Or both.

Think about it the more arms you have the more eggs you catch!! ???? Just a idea to neander on.

It is hard to tell! Maybe the arms were used to catch the curents and move to feed in diferent areas of the ocean! It all sounds good. Need to find a few more of them for study. :)I have kind of ruled out the anchor theory because the arms are always on the top of the shell only. Maybe for reproductive purposes?

Raise the top of the shell in a good curent and just move on!??

Think about it the more arms you have the more eggs you catch!! ???? Just a idea to neander on.

Well, catching eggs in the current is not how oysters reproduce, and encouraging new oysters to attach to themselves is not a beneficial strategy for survival...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It was just some ideas. Maybe they were a invasive species! Almost all forms of coral reproduce by throwing a massive amount of eggs to the mercy of the curents. Maybe this oyster did the same thing? I was just giving a idea to use your imagination on! This is a Extinct species we are talking about. What made them go extinct? Was it because the Flemingostrea subspatulata went extinct that this species died out?? What was there bond? Most of my finds of almost all of this species they are attached under a fan lip of a Flemingostrea subspatulata. I know it is not a beneficial strategy for suvival. But sometimes in nature other organisms get used for other means and for survival.. If you look at the fossil closely the arms have rounded tips thus I belive this fossil oyster was trying to display, atract, or capture. Think in a world with all of the monsters ((Flemingostrea subspatulata)) eating up all the food in a area as a smaller filter feeder i would want to be at the best posible spot! Thus the thought of attachement came up a long time ago for me. I have not found any evidence or seen any yet to back that up. The arms are only on the top of this species for some reason. . I will figure it out eventually! Not many species capture my imagination as much as this one for some reason! I LOVE THEM.. Were they the killer or the helper?

Well, catching eggs in the current is not how oysters reproduce, and encouraging new oysters to attach to themselves is not a beneficial strategy for survival...

These are some more pictures of the inside of the oyster for reference. This is a cluster of three of them. Clearly visable this species does not have the arms on the back to anchor down with. I put some close up pictures of the muscle for reference as well. Or where the muscle/tendon was. It was very strong. Picture #7 and #5.

post-8250-0-93868800-1333742112_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-21723100-1333742120_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-83140200-1333742125_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-24535600-1333742129_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-66445800-1333742136_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-80449100-1333742139_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-35713300-1333742142_thumb.jpg