Bakersfield Museum Dig March Finds

Interpaleo

I thought I'd post a couple shots of my haul from this last months museum dig down in Bakersfield, California. It was a decent trip, even with the last day being cut short by rain. I found over 130 perfect makos, plus a few interesting mammal teeth. I found an upper and lower Alodesmus canine, both of which are decent sized, as well as large Desmostylus molar.

Unfortunately, I destroyed what was once one of the largest makos I've ever come across. At the end of the first day I took a couple last pokes with the shovel and just blasted this 3 1/8" hastalis. Really bummed me out, but thats just the nature of hunting teeth. There is always that slight risk of destroying a truly magnificent specimen, and it finally happened to me.

Joe

post-7398-0-96855600-1333065640_thumb.png

post-7398-0-00442100-1333065680_thumb.png

Tragic mako and a decent one I managed to not hit with the shovel.

Also an upper and lower I. planus that were stuck together. I really like this tiny specimen for some reason, real unusual find for me.

post-7398-0-31184400-1333065775_thumb.png

post-7398-0-30083400-1333065787_thumb.png

post-7398-0-09397300-1333065826_thumb.png

Dang....

I guess if you work hard, you're rewarded, but still, I see several things there that would have made my day all by themselves!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Correct, auspex... I'll vouch for him... Joe is a hard worker out there. That Desmostylus tooth is totally cool.

I was about to feel bad for you in regards to the chipped mako and then I scrolled down and saw that desmo molar. AWESOME finds. Congratulations. Btw... I think that 3 inch mako still qualifies you for entry into the Fossil Forum 3" Mako club so all isn't lost :P (do a search on old posts).