Help Finding Places Near Cape Girardeau

Raistlin

Hello everyone.

I am new here, but have had interests in fossils for many years. As a child I found many fossils around the pond my father had dug up in Bollinger County. I want to find my old cache of fossils because my son (5) has suddenly gotten a huge interest in dinosaurs and the outdoors.

Today for instance we went and played at a creek and i found a few fossils, one I believe might be a trilobite (but if it is it is the largest one I have ever personally seen). Tomorrow we might take a trip to the old pond if it is not to over grown to look for a few more (mostly crinoid, a few different snails and something that looks like a type of claw turned to the left I believe, but I am sure it is not a claw).

Anyway, being that I am an adult now and it has been many years since I have gotten to enjoy fossil hunting for the most part, I was wondering if anyone knows of some places near Cape Girardeau/Bollinger County area that I could take him to and just look for some fossils father and son (and maybe mom tagging along also) style?

Thanks for any help.

Raistlin

In my intro post someone mentioned road cuts. Will I be able to just go to one and hunt or do I need to contact people first?

Raistlin,

I've often stopped at road cuts. Try to find an area where you can pull completely off the road so your vehicle does not impede traffic. Sometimes I'll find a good place to park that is not right next to the road cut and then hike back to the cut. I've been run off from areas before, but that's "just part of the game".

I've never parked on an interstate highway and I've read where others have been run off while parked. I've seldom had any problems parked on the side of county or FM roads.

My advise, park and take a look at the cut. What's the worst that can happen...a cop asks you to move on. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Generally, if you can park safely so you aren't creating any traffic hazards there shouldn't be any problems.

Also, as long as the cut is not part of someones private property, or otherwise posted for no parking, etc.

I strongly advise, and even think it's illegal, to stop on an interstate. However, if you can park safely on an exit ramp, or crossroad to access the cut, that may be ok.

I think if a cop, or any other authority was to stop and question you they probably wouldn't have a problem, or, at worst, advise you to move on.

If a cut is possibly part of private property, or questionably so, then it can't hurt to ask permission.

The key is safety and common sense.

Best of luck, and have fun!

Steve

EDIT: LOL, sward beat me to it!

Edited by Bullsnake

Okay thanks, I was planning on parking as far from traffic as possible. nothing I hate more than someone blocking traffic when I am driving.

Mostly I will be doing this during the week (I work swing shift) while many others are working/in school. I do not really want to take my son someplace that is not safe I will save the safer spots for him on the weekend.

He will be thrilled though if I bring home some cool finds to show him regardless of if he is there or not though.

• 6 months later...

I live in Bollinger co. & hit road cuts all over the area. The road cuts on 74 right off of kings hiway has some good pieces. A lot of the material has druzy on it, which imho makes for stunning specimens. Glad you are getting your son into it.

I live in Bollinger co. & hit road cuts all over the area. The road cuts on 74 right off of kings hiway has some good pieces. A lot of the material has druzy on it, which imho makes for stunning specimens. Glad you are getting your son into it.

Where you at the museum on Saturday? I wowed them, or at least didn't put them to sleep.

Brent Ashcraft

No I'm sad to say I wasn't there. I love our little museum though. It's amazing!

You don't by chance live out by Laflin, and have one of the most amazing collections of Smithville fossils anywhere?

Brent Ashcraft

I am going to have to hit that roadcut.

I found some cool stuff down by the river at Cape Rock, and Brent and another frined Bill have taken me to some really cool spots also.

• 5 months later...
cherokeekid

i live in cape right now and am a historic preservation major, ive heard along the river is nice.....i also know the archaeology department has a set up somehwere just south of cape.and are digging for native artifacts..now sure where tho

Edited by cherokeekid

Hello.

Since I wrote this I have managed to catch some people and get out and find more places. I have learned a bit more on finding places as well.

The only place I can think of that is digging artifacts is just over in Thebes, but I was sure that was a private operation not entirely sure though.

Along the river at Cape Rock when the water was down I managed to find a few Cornulities (they still need to be prepped though) and a few other things. Hoping things work out so that I can get out soon, I am going to try and collect some matrix samples to search for micro stuff.

cherokeekid

would you think that right down by the river would yeild anything? in cape...downtown ?

I have found things down by the river and in the rock cut on the west side of the railroad tracks in Cape.

You can find more by the river when the water is down like it was last year.

cherokeekid

I have found things down by the river and in the rock cut on the west side of the railroad tracks in Cape.

You can find more by the river when the water is down like it was last year.

ok cool , yeah last year we were at the trail of tears and could walk about half way out on the mississippi to a rock island ... we were looking around but didnt find anything...im sure if we really looked hard though we would have found somthing