Im Looking For An Opinion About gender

mikeymig

AMMONITE gender THAT IS - Could this nodule of Eleganticeras elegans ammonites be a male (microconch) and female (macroconch)? The larger ammonite (that I think is a female) is 3" and the smaller "male" ammonite is 1.5". I thought this was a real neat nodule when I got it and it would mean a lot more to me if my hunch is right. It’s Jurassic from England of course and if you know your British Ammonites, I would appreciate your feedback.

mikey

post-7129-0-37713300-1333333315_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikeymig

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Hey I didn't write gender I wrote ..., great there goes my warn status.

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Can't believe none of our British friends are chiming in on this one.

Maybe they haven't seen it? Bump!

Unfortunately, I'm no good with ammonites.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

One dimorphic distinction can sometimes be weaker ornamentation on the later whorls of the macroconch than on it's (her) earlier whorls. Is that what I'm seeing in the photo? It's hard to tell for sure. Outside of possible lappets for some microconchs, rostrums for some macroconchs, and longer body chambers for the girls (2/3 whorl compared to 1/2 for the guys) it's pretty hard to tell so unless you know how complete yours are and how these features shake out on E. elegans you may never know.

I didn't know there were male and femal...

Um, that's one of the reasons they didn't go extinct right away... :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I didn't know there were male and femal...

Of course for ammonites it can only be conjecture based on comparisons with living cephalopods which are either male or female unlike many other molluscs which are hermaphrodite. Some believe ammos are more like coleoids than nautiloids which have larger males. I think this based on the number of arms and the presence of an arm modified for sperm deposit in coleoids.

I collect modern seashells and with some like the Strombids, there is a clear diff between male and female with the females being bigger. It’s my understanding that the females have to be bigger to "house" all the extra reproductive gear males lack and some female mollusks store the sperm for weeks until they are ready to lay their eggs. You can see sexual dimorphism in some ammonites like Scaphites and I think this is an example of it in this specimen but I’m not an expert and my opinion is bias cuz I love this nodule. Your right Tim, I didnt think it would take this long for an answer and I know there are UK collectors on FF. I have more photos and can take more if that helps!

mikey

led zeppelin

Wow! Gender issues aside, this is a beautiful piece! Amazing prep! :) Thanks for sharing!

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Can't help I'm afraid, but even the females start life small.

Though I don't really collect ammo's, I'd like to know exactly how one determines whether a small ammo' is m/f. Also, what are the max sizes for males, in any given sp?

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Can you tell if one is always right? If so, that's the female.

:rofl:

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin