Identify This Mammal Tooth Please

masalakulongwa

I think that this may not be a challenge except that it is from a less common region, central Kenya. I didn't collect it personally and it was washed out of the enclosing formation but it is almost certainly Plio-Pleostocene in age.

Thanks.

No, meaning that it is one of the teeth from the side of the mouth (like where your molars are) and not the very front. Horses have teeth in the front that are seperate from the teeth in the back. Kind of like a bunny. :D As horses age the front teeth start bending out toward the front. You can tell a horses age by looking at these front teeth. Hence the phrase, "never look a gift horse in the mouth."

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Looks like some form of horse to me.

From the location,most likely, zebra :D I'm kidding , I don't know either :rolleyes:

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I think that this may not be a challenge except that it is from a less common region, central Kenya. I didn't collect it personally and it was washed out of the enclosing formation but it is almost certainly Plio-Pleostocene in age.

Thanks.

It is horse and looks like a left lower moler of

Equus (Hemionus) n. sp.

Early Pleistocene

1.0-1.5 million years

The best days are spent collecting fossils

It is horse and looks like a left lower moler of

Equus (Hemionus) n. sp.

Early Pleistocene

1.0-1.5 million years

Also in a quarry in Gulf, NC we find plant imprints that are not found anywhere else in the world but in Africa from when the continents were connected. You have to defend your self from fire ants but the imprints are great. I always bring ant spray. That could be what happened with the horse.

Also in a quarry in Gulf, NC we find plant imprints that are not found anywhere else in the world but in Africa from when the contents were connected. You have to defend your self from fire ants but the imprints are great. I always bring ant spray. That could be what happened with the horse.

Actually we had Rhinoceros, Camel like beasts, short legged and long legged Llama, Tapir, and Sloth.

Is it blue, or is it areflection of something on the background? If it is his actual colour, it would be a good example of how the vivianite can change the appearance of a fossil! Good looking fossil B)

Hi all, and thanks for the suggestions. I had also been leaning towards something horsey, like zebra. I was wondering if anyone would comment on the blue color. There is a grey cast to parts of the fossil but the blue is an artifact of the lighting; the actual specimen is not that flashy. I wish that there were a vivianite replacement. That would have been nice!

So Blue Tooth is a more recent invention? :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!