Malcolmt

I had a very good day collecting last Friday just going through some of the material now. I think I may have found the head and first two somites of a pterygotid. This was found in Bertie Dolestone of the Williamsville formation. This is late Silurian in age.

I had to back the matrix with epoxy as it was literally paper thin in spots and ther was a hole besides the head that is filled with epoxy

post-4886-0-81991100-1333395825_thumb.jpg

post-4886-0-06237500-1333396063_thumb.jpg

post-4886-0-32216700-1333396167_thumb.jpg

I was thinking it is a pterygytus because the head and body are much smaller (thinner) than the other eurypterids lacustris that I found. Any expert out there want to take a guess.

Only time will tell if it continues back under the matrix. The reverse of the slab it is on is just covered with bits of Eurypterids.

Edited by Malcolmt

I'm not a eurypterid expert by any stretch but will try to assist. I believe you can actually eliminate any of the pterygotids based on the orientation and shape / size proportion of the eye closer to the anterior margin. This example suggests something allied to either Eurypterus or Dolichopterus. The head shield in this case appears to be skewed to the right somewhat distorting the correct aspect.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hmm. Eyes are wrong to be a remipes and I thought too close to edge to be a lacustris from the pictures I have. Size of the tilted head to the first two tergites seems out of proportion for the pictures I have as well. I wonder if this is an association and the bits do not represent a single specimen????? Though the orientation is a bit of a coincidence then and the tergites seem to be associated with each other, just twisted.

Sorry Malcolm it doesn't look Pterygotus to me. You just want it all huh? You found complete Eurypterids, a Phyllocarid, plants, and you want to add Pterygotus to your list? What's next a scorpion? ;)

Can't wait to see your finds from ur dig all prepped.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

You can only see one eye at the top it is circular. The head is tilted to the left and is either not complete or buried . A full head would look like a half moon.

An individual who is quite an expert on Eurypterids of New York state believes this to be a small lacustris which is the most common in the location in which it was found. Not having any appendages and only two tergites it is not so easy to tell. A quick air abrasion of the matrix suggests that it does not continue directly into the matrix unless it is very disarticulated.