Dimethylsulfoxide (Dmso) As A Sandstone Disaggregate

rstaiger

I've been experimenting with DMSO as a sandstone disaggregate and would like to know if anyone has experience with this method. Specifically, I would like to begin using it to recover microfossils but am concerned about the loss of vertebrates in the process.

We've tried it on various concreted or well-cemented rock samples with no success. I'd be very interested in following your progress. If you do some experiments, please share your results here! And please follow all safety precautions; pure DMSO doesn't seem to be harmful, but if it mixes with any other chemicals, it will bring those chemicals right through your skin. I don't think it would harm vertebrate fossils unless they are already fragmented and filled with sediment.

DMSO a universal solvent... very dangerous if you are playing with the wrong chemicals. Relatively safe as long as not combined with anything toxic. It is used in topical medicines to get pharmaceuticals into the body (analgesics and anti fungals come to mind). However it will transport potentially unwanted chemicals through the skin barrier and into the blood equally as well.

The above speak well of the safety issues... and DMSO stinks. I did some experiments with it and I put the stuff in a sealed jar. Bottom line is that it works on some sandstones, and not on others. I have not heard of it (or seen it) harm bones in the stuff.

Archived