Help With Ammonite (Fake?)

jt20

Hi all,

I bought this fossil a while back and some friends believe it is fake. Perhaps you all could figure it out from my rather poor picture that I have posted.

I have zero information on the source of this fossil. It is quite solid, I see no fissures, dense like a rock, has a flakey outer layer or two but the inside is solid.

Thank you.

post-8350-0-63730300-1333495000_thumb.jpg

Edited by jt20

I very seriously doubt that it is fake , there are so many ammonites , it wouldn't be worth the time of faking one ! A guy once told me not to buy Chinese ammonites because most of them are fake . I think he just wanted me to buy his . I have hundreds of ammonites & some of my best ones I got from China . I've been ripped off a lot of times on ammonites , because buying on line , a lot of the fossil dealers only show one side of the ammonite . Which is something Chinese dealers don't usually do ! But watch out for those UK dealers !

Its hard to tell by your pic (little blurry) but it looks real. Some of my best ammonites came from a UK dealer. Fossil collecting is like collecting anything else, do your homework.

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

I definitely bought this before knowing anything other than that it felt like stone and held heat as a stone would.

It was purchased on the street in a southern American country.

Here are some better pictures.

Thank you for the responses.

post-8350-0-53707200-1333498523_thumb.jpg

post-8350-0-64945100-1333498531_thumb.jpg

Edited by jt20

I was gonna say it looks like an ammonite from Peru. They sometimes put black shoe polish on them. Still real just color added. ;)

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Looks pyritized, which could make it look fake.

Would that involve having shiny particles in the media?... or just something one might do to the exterior?

Edited by jt20

With the new pictures, I'll go on record as believing it is real.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I can't say exactly what it is, there are too many Ammos from various layers which look similar to it and I'm not at all familiar with south american fauna, but one thing is for sure: It's real and not a fake.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Looks real to me.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The way the outer part of the whorl is crushed tells me it's definitely real.

Context is critical.