Solo

Does anyone know what this is? The picture is taken in Northern Oman mountains (UAE). A whole layer >50 cm thick is loaded with this organisms, with sizes of individuals from a few cm to >15 cm. The outcroping formation is Simsima, the age of the formation is Upper Cretaceous.

post-8354-0-47075100-1333525679_thumb.jpg

The coin is ~1.7 cm in diameter.

post-8354-0-16300300-1333525683_thumb.jpg

They remind me of feeding probes but they don't look as inflated as the ones around here..

This one is older being Pennsylvanian.. I think they look quite a bit alike.. See what you

think..

Please ignore the ring, I didn't want to take a new image..

post-13-0-44244800-1333530052_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Looks similar, but they are more irregular. Agree about the feeding probes.

But the ones i posted are more regular and the small individual organisms are almost the exact copies of the big ones. And if you look closer there is texture between the "fingers".

Perhaps it's worth mentioning that Rudists are abundant in the outcrop (not in that particular bed though).

I agree that the texture between the "fingers" suggests a body fossil. They remind me a bit of crinoid plates. Is there any evidence of ossicles in the formation ?

Not sure about the ossicles, there is a possibility that there are some but misidentified by us as rudist "parts".

there seems to be alot of structure between the "fingers"

post-4577-0-16748700-1333548924_thumb.jpg

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

This is a difficult specimen to interpret, with the gross forms being so suggestive; let's look at details.

There appears to be a well-defined boundary between the interlocking dark and light "fingers", and it appears to be of different material than either, almost shelly. What is this material? To which part does it belong (dark or light)? What would explain these volutes, if it is shell? The answers may be under our noses, but my brain is getting little traction.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is a difficult specimen to interpret, with the gross forms being so suggestive; let's look at details.

There appears to be a well-defined boundary between the interlocking dark and light "fingers", and it appears to be of different material than either, almost shelly. What is this material? To which part does it belong (dark or light)? What would explain these volutes, if it is shell? The answers may be under our noses, but my brain is getting little traction.

There is indeed a very well defined boundary between the white (I think it is calcite, the formation is mainly carbonates) and dark outer parts (silicified?), and there is also a boundary (not very sharp though) between the rock of the bed and the fossil area.

It can be a cast but I think for burrows they are very isolated from each other and very regular (the ones we have seen had 4 to 6 "fingers" only).

I'm planning to go there again and get more pics.

I agree with Thomas that it might be a sponge preserved as a 'slice' or longitudinal cross-section. This morphology is consistent with any number of forms with radially arranged blade-like expansions emanating from a funnel edge (central cone).

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Since there are many of these in that exposure, try to photograph as many different aspects as you can. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Those are "handsome" fossils. :eat popcorn:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

If you find one with the middle "finger" extended, you might want to back away, as it could be a sign.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

• 1 month later...

I discovered a "hand-like" image today (though it looks more like a 6-toed animal footprint!). It's on an ammonite from Texas:

post-3322-0-92791500-1336962290_thumb.jpg

post-3322-0-07474200-1336962313_thumb.jpeg

post-3322-0-18173900-1336962327_thumb.jpeg

Hi,

Rocks Anne, this drawing looking like a hand is in reality a part of the ammonite sutures. On better preserved specimens, we can be lucky to distinguish better these sutures.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ancient aliens! :rofl:

LOL @ Jesse, I was sooooo going to post the same thing but you beat me to it :)

Explore -> Dream -> Discover !

Here's a LINK to a bunch of pictures that will illustrate the ID.

Archived