Partial Skull, Wyoming

Guest N.AL.hunter

Guest N.AL.hunter

Anyone, specially Fruitbat, this is the partial, crushed skull I found along with my Oreondonts northeast of Lusk that I have mentioned before (and just now got it unboxed). I think it is some type of pig/tapir creature. Any ID help is appreciated. Thanks, Del

Anyone, specially Fruitbat, this is the partial, crushed skull I found along with my Oreondonts northeast of Lusk that I have mentioned before (and just now got it unboxed). I think it is some type of pig/tapir creature. Any ID help is appreciated. Thanks, Del

Nice tapir you have there. Hey how do you guys keep track of all the forums you go into? I know one I put a trilobite I found and can't id but I do not know where it is now?

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Nice tapir you have there. Hey how do you guys keep track of all the forums you go into? I know one I put a trilobite I found and can't id but I do not know where it is now?

Best bet (especially for ID posts) is to start a new topic (under "Fossil ID" in this case) with a good key word in the title. This makes the "search" function a lot easier than when you add it to a running thread.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Doesn't appear to be tapir to me the molars don't look right. May be a peccary or maybe even archeotherium. How big is it?

Odd looking character some teeth do seem tapir like but the rear molars look pig like then you have those frontal ones that pop out like fangs its really odd.

Guest N.AL.hunter
Doesn't appear to be tapir to me the molars don't look right. May be a peccary or maybe even archeotherium. How big is it?

About 12 inches long, but as you can tell, a lot is missing. The molars are the size of quarters. The canines about 1.25 inches, but I have never measured them to be sure. Found in Chadron or Brule formations (I never could tell when one stopped and the other began).

About 12 inches long, but as you can tell, a lot is missing. The molars are the size of quarters. The canines about 1.25 inches, but I have never measured them to be sure. Found in Chadron or Brule formations (I never could tell when one stopped and the other began).

Being that big i would say it's archeotherium. A buddy of mine found a complete skull about six months ago, when i get home i'll look at the pictures he sent me and compare the teeth

Guest N.AL.hunter

Thanks for the Id gentlemen... been wondering for years what it was. Next I'll post a large bone I found at same site. Just have to unbox it.