Auspex - This one's for you...I think

Metopocetus

I found this on the beach today. I haven't a clue what it is but was thinking a small claw of some kind. What do you think?

(Others are encouraged to chime in)

It is 7/16" in length.

post-680-1221080146_thumb.jpg

I have found some wierd clawlike things there that turned out to be from the fruit of the water chestnut, but if this is actually boney, I don't know what it could be. Can you post a bigger pic? This one has been resized to only 241 X 179; something around 820 X 600 (with better lighting), of both sides, would maybe help.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks like someone maybe wore it around their neck.

Not sure if Indians could drill such a perfect circle with the

tools they had then. That would be cool!

Welcome to the forum!

That is just too cool for words! I have absolutely no idea what it is; wish I had it in hand to study.

I snatched the pic and lightened it a lot; there are things that look toothlike, things that look clawlike, and things that don't fit with either idea. I don't think we can rule out artifact; that hole is just too convenient. How I love a pithy puzzle! :)

post-423-1221085966_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I think the guys have it right. Shark tooth artifact. Most of the root is gone. If it is an artifact, the question would be, "What was it's purpose?" Was it simply decoration? Or was it a tool? Here's a shot in the dark as for a purpose as a tool. How about a device to mark the distance between holes for stitches in buckskin?

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

I think the guys have it right. Shark tooth artifact. Most of the root is gone. If it is an artifact, the question would be, "What was it's purpose?" Was it simply decoration? Or was it a tool? Here's a shot in the dark as for a purpose as a tool. How about a device to mark the distance between holes for stitches in buckskin?

Could it be a modern tooth? Lots of people, especialy at the shore wear necklaces with shark teeth on them.

Could it be a modern tooth? Lots of people, especialy at the shore wear necklaces with shark teeth on them.

More likely fossil tooth, modern artifact if that's the case. It's a thought.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

...If it is an artifact, the question would be, "What was it's purpose?"..

Zipper pull? :P

I think it's most likely an ornament, though there was probably nothing frivolous about it; there was meaning in all the Indian's art. The spur of root looks like it might have been intentionally ground to that shape; if it is representational, what was the artisan trying to make it look like?