Taiwanese Copal And Indonesian Shark Teeth

-Andy-

Hi guys,

ran into a snag again.

I 've got an unpolished Copal from Taiwan. Unfortunately, I haven't actually heard of Taiwan having copal deposits, so I highly doubt its actually from there. Anyone's got any clue to where or what Copal I am looking at?

Next up, two shark teeth from the Ambon Island of Indonesia.

I feel the one from the left is from a mackeral shark, maybe even Sand Tiger. The one on the right I feel is a mako, or dusky shark. Unfortunately I am no expert and so I would appreciate input from any experts here. If it would help, the teeth on the left is thick and the right is rather flat.

Thanks again.

post-4888-0-94549000-1333811087_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-60763400-1333811114_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-67892800-1333811129_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Interesting teeth. The one on the left is almost certainly a worn lower Hemipristis serra. The tooth on the right is a kinda strange looking. Almost looks like a great white of sorts with that huge root. Not sure. I'm gonna check this post later to see if anyone has an ID.

I'd agree with the lower Hemipristis, but the other looks more like a Carcharhinus species to me. Carcharhinus amboinensis is the Java shark -seems to look like it may be that species

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Lower anterior Hemipristis and upper lateral Glyphis (could be G. gangiticus or G. glyphis but location would fit better for G. glyphis).

Awesome, I never even knew abut Glyphis. A freshwater shark tooth! I know I don't have one of those in my collection.

Wow! I got a rare shark tooth.

Thanks so much for the ID guys.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Neat teeth. As regards the copal, there are all kinds of places it could be from. I don't know of any Taiwanese deposits either, but Taiwan is a huge importer of copal and much of it comes from the Phillipines... if that helps.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Neat teeth. As regards the copal, there are all kinds of places it could be from. I don't know of any Taiwanese deposits either, but Taiwan is a huge importer of copal and much of it comes from the Phillipines... if that helps.

It does.

I would like to at least know what it most likely originates from.

Archived