Cephalopod?

Kehbe

I am thinking this is a cephalopod. Found in the Pennsylvanian winterset limestone, Kansas City, Jackson county, Missouri. The dark spot on top appears to be the siphuncle. The only cephalopod I could find while surfing the internet that looks anything like this is a dawsonoceras cephalopod but I can't find a description of dawsonoceras from the Pennsylvanian, only from the Silurian. Is there any other ceph that would fit the bill? Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any suggestions on the ID! :)

pic1 post-7046-0-02767500-1334056827_thumb.jpg pic2 post-7046-0-74066400-1334056854_thumb.jpg

pic3 post-7046-0-34175800-1334056838_thumb.jpg pic4 post-7046-0-30807500-1334056869_thumb.jpg

pic5 post-7046-0-49247100-1334056890_thumb.jpg pic6 post-7046-0-15471500-1334056801_thumb.jpg

pic7 post-7046-0-71532100-1334056902_thumb.jpg pic8 post-7046-0-31526200-1334056817_thumb.jpg

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

I have found similar looking "things" in the Devonian shales of NY. I pick them up sometimes thinking they must be a fossil cephalopod but there not. I think they are some type of deformed nodule.

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Could it be a borrow?

That sure could have been the genesis, but there are layers to it, somewhat concentric (in an eccentric way), which makes me think there was some diagenetic chemistry at work too.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think we can eliminate Bison.. :D ( some had to say it since Tracer seems to be awol)

seriously, the layers on it look sorta like the decorations on a Gastropod.... :zzzzscratchchin:

It looks like one of the chert nodules that often show up in the Winterset. It could be a diagenetically altered burrow fill. The evenly spaced grooves on the side may reflect thin bedding of the sediment.

Context is critical.

I too believe it is a burrow of some kind

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Huh, it is a big ol' snail... at least with the torsion to the test, that is what I see.

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.

I don't think it actually spirals...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

For comparison, here's an 'uncooked' burrow fill in the upper Winterset beds:

post-6808-0-73189900-1334353167_thumb.jpg

Note the large concretion in the upper left. It may have been on its way of calcifying the silt and fine sand laminae surrounding the burrow, but the diagenetic process was stopped.

Your specimen, if a burrow, is completely cemented, and was subjected to further silicification.

Context is critical.

I don't think it actually spirals...

Auspex is right. The way to tell is to compare pictures 1 & 3. In 1 with the pointy end down the sections slant upward left to right the way you would expect a snail to do.

In pic 3 with the pointy end up and the other side showing, the visable section slants downward left to right, opposite of a snail. Try this holding a snail you can turn over to see the effect.

If these are roundish discs, maybe they started out not slanted at all and experienced distortion over time.

Edited by BobWill

Auspex is right. The way to tell is to compare pictures 1 & 3. In 1 with the pointy end down the sections slant upward left to right the way you would expect a snail to do.

In pic 3 with the pointy end up and the other side showing, the visable section slants downward left to right, opposite of a snail. Try this holding a snail you can turn over to see the effect.

If these are roundish discs, maybe they started out not slanted at all and experienced distortion over time.

I see about 20° slant on the spire- front and back- in the same direction.

post-5280-0-21556100-1334401313_thumb.jpgpost-5280-0-70473400-1334401329_thumb.jpg

Too, as these are from Jackson Co. Missouri, I don't think that area has experienced any tectonics that would distort primary features.

Edited by thanatocoenosis

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.

I see about 20° slant on the spire- front and back- in the same direction.

post-5280-0-21556100-1334401313_thumb.jpgpost-5280-0-70473400-1334401329_thumb.jpg

Too, as these are from Jackson Co. Missouri, I don't think that area has experienced any tectonics that would distort primary features.

The slant is in opposite directions when you turn it upside down (up to the right pic 1 & down in 2). If it were a spiral it would slant the same way however you turn it. Try this with a gastropod to see the effect.

If it were a spiral it would slant the same way however you turn it. Try this with a gastropod to see the effect.

Doh! I totally missed that.

It does slant the same way. It is a snail.

The slant is in opposite directions when you turn it upside down (up to the right pic 1 & down in 2). If it were a spiral it would slant the same way however you turn it. Try this with a gastropod to see the effect.

It does slant the same way(see my annotated photographs). It is a gastropod.

It does slant the same way(see my annotated photographs). It is a gastropod.

I see the white lines slanting upward to the right in the first pic and downward in the second. Does anyone else see spirals instead of slanted discs? I'm liking Missourian's explaination but must admit this is a new one for me :wacko:

Okay, I had left this piece at work and every time I thought about checking it, I was at home or busy with something! I have studied it and have concluded in my infinite wisdom, uhmmhmm, actually just from observation, that it is more like discs stacked on top of each other and set on an angle rather than a spiral. If you put your finger on top of the ridge or on the edge of the disc and follow it around 360 degrees, you end up back where you started, on the same disc, not the one above or below it. In other words, it does not spiral. I tried to figure it out by looking at the pictures and it is deceiving. As much as I wish it were a 'big ol' snail', ;) I believe it resembles Missourian's illustration more closely! Thanks all for the comments and the interest :) If I ever find out any different, I shall post my results! Here is a picture of both sides, side by side! ;)

post-7046-0-92105600-1334712899_thumb.jpg

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

I see the white lines slanting upward to the right in the first pic and downward in the second. Does anyone else see spirals instead of slanted discs? I'm liking Missourian's explaination but must admit this is a new one for me :wacko:

The photos are opposite sides of the same specimen, hence, when flipped over, the spire will be an enantiomer of the other side(if I can borrow a term from out chemist friends). Look at the top of the specimen in the photographs... that protusion, notice how it is a mirror image in the two photos? It is a snail.

EDIT: Look at the two photos that I annotated(front and back)... flip the one on the right onto the left one... viola!

The photos are opposite sides of the same specimen, hence, when flipped over, the spire will be an enantiomer of the other side(if I can borrow a term from out chemist friends). Look at the top of the specimen in the photographs... that protusion, notice how it is a mirror image in the two photos? It is a snail.

EDIT: Look at the two photos that I annotated(front and back)... flip the one on the right onto the left one... viola!

When you flip the one on the right onto the left one you undo what you did to observe the difference seen on opposite sides. Leaving the images side by side you can see the slant going in opposite directions when viewed from each side, something that would not occur with a spiral.

I don't know why I didn't mention this before....

Some of the upper Winterset beds have very unusual lithology. In places, sediments were partially cemented before they were compressed by the weight of overlying strata. This caused distortion of the original bedding planes. Any existing features, such as burrows, would have been distorted as well. My attachment a few posts back shows this quite well:

post-6808-0-60817400-1334815039_thumb.jpg

(yellow = bedding planes; pink = cemented sediment; green = burrow)

It is possible that Kehbe's specimen was subjected to such a distortion of the sediments. Note the faint laminae that seem to reflect the pattern in the 'fossil':

post-6808-0-65321900-1334815517_thumb.jpg

post-6808-0-62374300-1334815528_thumb.jpg

In other words, the apparent morphology could be due, in part, to these distortions.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Nope!! Heres a front and back of a gastropod. When viewed from front, back, left or right, the spiral always goes the same way. In most, rising from left to right.

post-45-0-42483900-1334835604_thumb.jpgpost-45-0-25914300-1334835620_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Unless you have a gastropod that goes from right to left, even the same genus can have right or left handed specimens. There is an Ordovician cephalopod "Cameroceras sp." when only the siphuncle remains looks almost exactly like this picture. Check in "Fossils of Ohio." There maybe something similar in another species. "Dawsonoceras" is Silurian. I still think it's a burrow. Sometimes, Dr. Freud, a cigar is just a cigar. :)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Actually I did say, " In most, rising from left to right."

I have a few specimens of Neptunea contraria. The Pliocene 'left handed whelk' (Contrary spiral), which rise from right to left. When viewed from any side the rise is still right to left.

post-45-0-60002100-1334879286_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.