Coincidental Finds

dr heckle

ever had a a find that came about as a complete and utter coincidence.

ive had 3 in the last couple of days and all at the same spot the first was when i was walking along scanning the cliff next to me for anything unusual when i triiped on a rock after regaining my balance i looked at the ground and there was a massive fossil shell with some real nice calcite crystals in it right between my feet, the next time was about 15 minutes later following the same cliff now looking at the ground i happened across an unusual looking pebble i picked it up inspected it and upon deciding it was of no value tossed it to the side i watched it land on a large slab of rock and smiling to myself walked over to inspect the fragments more out of curiosity then anything but as i got closer to the slab i realised it was full of these realy nice looking fossils the species of which i have yet to decipher i was going to post a pic but my camera ran out of batterys dam technological age :P anyway content with this i went home only to return this afternoon and once again on my way back i was walking along when my phone rang and whilst talking on the phone somthing drew my attention to the cliff face next to me upon which sitting posed almost like a picture frame on a very thin section of protruding sandstone was a thin slice of sandstone with a rather large one of the afformentioned unknown fossils im starting to like this spot anyway has anyone else had any experiences like this ;)

a heckle a day keeps the doctor away

Real serendipity; "stream of subconsiousness" fossil hunting!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I've had many ocassions like that as well. I have on multiple occasions found something average that i went to the waters edgs to wash off and right where i went to wash it something super nice was. Also about two months ago i was down at a beach collecting with some people when i stopped to wait for the others. I went ahead and put my foot up on a big chunk that had fallen from the cliff and right next to where i put my foot i see a blade sticking straight out, turned out to be a serrated mako. Another time i was on a beach with my dad and he likes to take his time no matter what the conditions. Me on the other hand if the collecting site doesn't look like it is going to produce anything i want to leave. Well we were at a local beach and i had found maybe two teeth and i wanted to go home and pops was taking his good ol time. I got a little upset and smacked my rake into a chunk of clay and it split right on a real nice 3" chubutenses. I think this was god teaching me patience and humilaty at the same time. But the best story of all that i know of goes with brothers first meg over five. We were in lee creek and there was only about thirty minutes left. We had gotten towards the front of the mine a little early so we were just putzing around. I looked over at my brother as his footing gave way and he started to slide down a hill. He slid down about ten feet and when doing so he put his hand in the yorktown sediment in order to slow his fall. He came up screeming so i thought he was hurt but when i got over there i found he was screaming because his hand that he was using to stop his fall had grabbed a five and a half inch meg right between the root lobes. Doesn't get any better than that

I looked over at my brother as his footing gave way and he started to slide down a hill. He slid down about ten feet and when doing so he put his hand in the yorktown sediment in order to slow his fall. He came up screeming so i thought he was hurt but when i got over there i found he was screaming because his hand that he was using to stop his fall had grabbed a five and a half inch meg right between the root lobes. Doesn't get any better than that

Now that is a cool story!

Now that is a cool story!

How's your situtation with "Ike?"

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

My best story like that is one day on a beach I found a real nice tautog jaw in a clay boulder so I extracted it. There were some more boulders of similar texture around and probably from the same layer and they all had a few odds and ends exposed on the sides, but nothing special. So I decided to destroy them with my ice pick/ scribe tool. I worked a couple boulders down to nothing but rubble but didnt find anything in them. I was going at it so hard that I actually stabbed myself in the palm with my pick and was bleeding pretty badly. Luckily we were just about done already and we were on our way off the beach. But as we were walking back (and leaving a blood trail) I saw another of those boulders on the beach. I got mad that the last boulder had made me stab myself a nice puncture wound so I decided to do a running jump kick on this one. It immediately broke into 3 large pieces which I thought was odd but then I looked down and saw why.... a perfect 2.5" mako was the fault line. Its still my best and biggest mako from the Md/Va area.

Another time I was relieving myself on a beach and I directed my urine stream to hit an odd flat bone looking thing that was buried a little bit. It turned out to be a pretty nice mostly complete ray plate. Along those lines I remember a story of someone finding a 5" meg at Lee Creek while taking a dump...

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

...I decided to do a running jump kick on this one....

...I directed my urine stream to hit an odd flat bone looking thing that was buried a little bit...

Novel field-prep techniques! :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I prefer to find my fossils in a different sort of stream.....

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Novel field-prep techniques! :P

Despite my results, I sure don't recommend it! I was just mad because I wasted a good hour digging through the other boulders and the tide was starting to come in real fast. I could have gone further down the beach and probably found a few more decent beach teeth instead but it ended up working out after my assault on the last boulder ;)

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

I haven't found any thing nice and complete that way, BUT... I did spot trilobite fragments while sitting in a Wendy's drive-thru on Cincinnati's west side. It was in a fairly new cut for a small strip mall next to the fast food joint. I was on my way to the astronomy club and found myself eating a Frosty while surfacing the exposure. There were plenty of nice fragments, so maybe I'll hit that spot again some day.

Only in Cincinnati...can you find trilobites in fast food drive-thrus...

my camera finaly decided to work and let me download the pics which i have had ids on them and they have confirmed my suspicions that the unknowns were actualy echinoids all except for the shell of course

post-587-1221380938_thumb.jpg

post-587-1221381082_thumb.jpg

post-587-1221381108_thumb.jpg

post-587-1221381125_thumb.jpg

post-587-1221381139_thumb.jpg

post-587-1221381161_thumb.jpg

post-587-1221381179_thumb.jpg

a heckle a day keeps the doctor away