Need Help, In Eastern South Dakota, Where To Look

tj102569

TJ

You didn't offend me in any way either. But I do think many in our hobby obsess over successful fossil "collecting" rather than having a great day in the field fossil "hunting". I don't know how old your son is--I teach science to 6th graders, and I have granddaughters ranging from 5-7 who are developing an interest in my hobby. But I don't think of myself as a fossil collector, or even so much as an amateur paleontologist. I'm a gentleman naturalist. If you can talk to your son about the plants, the rocks, the stars, the beasties (dangerous and benign), you will spark an interest. You have some great Native American history from your area. If you can learn to weave a story around, through, and after the trip your son will become a gentleman naturalist as well.

Today I was walking back 60 sixth graders from having their spring pictures taken at the elementary school gym. One of them spotted a Texas Horned Lizard. As all of them started to crowd around too closely to the little fella, amid shouts of "Catch it!", "Chase it!", and "Kill it!", I took command. Moved the kids back. Let them all get a look, and then presented an impromptu lesson on threatened species, invasive species, red harvester ants, fire ants, as well as legal, social and environmental responsibility. I later expanded on this lesson in the classroom. I also sent the kids back to class with the other teachers while I carefully carried my new friend a few hundred yards away to a safer habitat, away from 250 plus overly excitable elementary and middle school students.

I saw a Texas Horned Lizard today!!!! I didn't have a camera, and was more concerned about his safety than about going to fetch one. But I haven't seen one in a while. :D

I suppose my point is that I was excited, and so my kids became excited.

Fossils are a bonus.

You may already know this, but I find the series "roadside geology" to be helpful in picking places to look, and it gives a reasonable idea of what type of strata you might be in- it makes driving places more interesting too

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0878423389

Edited by Jdeutsch

Just be warned as well about south dakota fossil laws. They can be strict and there is alot of Reservation land that you do not want to touch. Also the corps of engineers owns most of the missouri river shores in the south half so be careful collecting around there, even though there are good sites for aquatic reptile skeletons :D

My Flickr Page of My Collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79424101@N00/sets

Good find!

I hope they're still 'in business'; the posted meeting schedule is for 2011...

Chas,

Their Facebook page says they have a meeting at 7:00 PM tomorrow night. Posted two hours ago.

Regards,

EDIT: Sorry - just saw that you called and they were "strictly minerals". They mention fossils on their page. Wierd.

I think it still would be a good way to meet people, learn about the geology of the area, and perhaps establish a firmer foothold in the community, to be able to network with landowners etc.

Nothing says you cannot move the club in the fossil direction a bit more, when you've become a respected member. Plus the mineral outings may be fun for you and your son as well. Win win, in my opinon.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

trevor... one last thing... assuming presence of no venomous snakes or other field maladies, let your kid take lead in the productive zones, and you pick up the seconds...you might even steer him back toward what he missed. happy kids stay afield longer.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 2 weeks later...

I have zero knowledge, but I like yourself, am doing this with my 8 year old son, we started a rock collection actually but ended up finding a few fossils along the sioux river, After all the flooding last year we found that at places the river does 90 degree turn or even 180 whatever those are called, had a lot of neat stuff, the flooding puts all sorts of rocks up on land that is dry the rest of the year, then we wait for it to rain hard, and go out as it helps everything be more visable. We have found what I think are jasperized buffalo teeth, I am assuming this by comparing them to photos on the web, and some fossiled shafts of bones, wood, and a bunch of neat rocks, agates and interesting brown crystals which I have no idea what they are. I realize if you are not a land owner this is a little tricky, but there are actually a fair amount of public hunting grounds, and parks etc., along the river. Actually its a great way to get into kayaking. When you kayak down the river the places where these would be accumulated becomes pretty apparent. I am complete novice, and this is just a leisure activity for us, but we have found some pretty neat stuff without expending much time, effort or money.

Trevor-

I just came in a bit late intothis thread, and indeed, I think no one took offense. One of the bonuses of this site is that we who have been doing this for a long time (like danwoehr) can and do educate the newbies. So file this discussion under education, which is different than being schooled.

Meanwhile, your bucket load of fossils from your friend's quarry is a great first find. Keep it up.

no problem. We are having the time of our life.... Now to go out to a couple spots ive found that look promising....and get back to reality where not every rock we touch has 2-10 sharks teeth in them. those buckets are just crazy....