Lee Taylor

Upper Edisto River?

Lee Taylor

got a question for South Carolina fossilers

but first I wanna show off my newly assembled fossiling claw with some good old South Carolina sharks teeth. the Edisto river tooketh my previous claw, 2 weeks back. will be doing some more fossil diving soon and i just had to have a new "claw" (come to think of it, i hope to find a prehistoric claw)

th_100_9976.jpg

th_100_9968.jpg

question:

i will soon be motoring "up" the Edisto river in search of gravel / fossil beds. AeroMike and I found a great gravel bed last season but it had been already harvested. It was in about 3 feet of water. Long story short - excellent gravel bed. It will re-produce in time, I am sure of this.

This season, I will be motoring up the Ediso above Givhans State park. I will be covering about 20 miles of river looking for "gravel beds" that are in about 3 feet of water. The purpose is for snorkeling and fossiling.

do any fossilers have any idea what i can expect this season, above Givhans State park, as to water flow, depth, and especially bottom composition. Again, i am searching for shallower areas (3ft), with marl, limestone, or a bottom littered with gravel, fossilized bones, and fossilized materials. I don't want sand or hard pan. Want shallow with gravel.

request:

show me some South Carolina fossils and a general idea of where you found them. the ones in the photo are Cooper and Edisto river teeth

Kosmoceras

Just want to say that that claw is epic! Would not mind one of those to search for fossils!

DeloiVarden

Like the lower, the depth and bottom composition differ greatly from section to section on the upper river above Givhans. Depth and current will depend heavily on rain. And as with the lower, plan on a lot of sand!

Lee Taylor

Just want to say that that claw is epic! Would not mind one of those to search for fossils!

It's a common every day potato rake with the handle shortened and a lanyard added