Ptychodus Cf. Atcoensis From The Kamp Ranch?

Tony Eaton

The other day I was taking a closer look at my Ptychodus teeth and found this guy in my "in between" section from one rich Kamp Ranch site that I collected about a dozen years ago in Denton County Texas. The site is currently under concrete as are the vast majority of teeth collecting sites from years past. This isn't exactly like the few P. atcoensis (sp.) teeth that I've found, but none-the-less I think it does compare favorably to P. atcoensis (sp). I.E., thick transverse ridges form a "chevron" like structure on the top of the crown. P. atcoensis is limited to around the Turonian / Conacian boundary (i.e. the Atco formation for which it is named after). However, this 1 cm wide tooth seems like perhaps a small precursor from the middle Turonian? It could just be a weird tooth though, I'm curious of everyone's opinion.

ptychodus_atcoensis_KR.jpg

Edited by Tony Eaton

Oh, that's worthless. You shouldn't bother letting it take up room in your collection and just send it to me.

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Check UR TX Ptychodus collection, I think you already got one of these "fancy" ones ;-)

In labial/lingual view the cusp has a more triangular profile like P. mortoni, but if it's Turonian, it's too old for that. The ridges are more like atcoensis but that species has a more steep-sided cusp. Okay, I agree it's weird.

Jess

The other day I was taking a closer look at my Ptychodus teeth and found this guy in my "in between" section from one rich Kamp Ranch site that I collected about a dozen years ago in Denton County Texas. The site is currently under concrete as are the vast majority of teeth collecting sites from years past. This isn't exactly like the few P. atcoensis (sp.) teeth that I've found, but none-the-less I think it does compare favorably to P. atcoensis (sp). I.E., thick transverse ridges form a "chevron" like structure on the top of the crown. P. atcoensis is limited to around the Turonian / Conacian boundary (i.e. the Atco formation for which it is named after). However, this 1 cm wide tooth seems like perhaps a small precursor from the middle Turonian? It could just be a weird tooth though, I'm curious of everyone's opinion.

ptychodus_atcoensis_KR.jpg