Seeking Second Opinion, Stingray Tooth?

MusicalMommy

Hello,

I came across this interesting find in our landscape river rock in our backyard. It looks porous on the flat bottom kind of like bone, but has a rounded top and some interesting raised lines on the surface. A friend brought it another friend who identified it as a stingray tooth. But... when I looked up photos of stingray teeth I found mostly flat ones with parallel lines and not any that had rounded lines on one end more like a finger print.

I was just curious if anyone could give me a second opinion on the identification.

IMG_2933.JPG

IMG_2931.JPG

IMG_2932.JPG

IMG_2934.JPG

Thanks. I would have never been able to find that info. That does look much more like what I have than any of the photos of the stingray teeth I saw. Feeling much more conficent in this identification. Thanks again.

Odd too the way the root is completely gone...

It was a landscape river rock find; probably been tumbled and sorted with a lot more violence than nature alone could muster.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

http://www.oceansofkansas.com/Ptychodus2.html

After visiting the above link I am pretty sure hands down this is what we found.

Because of this discovery... my kids spent the afternoon hunting though the landscape rock dragging every rock they picked up into the house thinking it is a rare fossil. My oldest who is 6 even make little lable cards for them all and set up her own museum. I think she is hooked. :)

Uh-oh! Methinks MusicalMommy is going to become FossilMommy! :D Oh well...you know what they say about old composers...they never die...they just decompose!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Ptychodus teeth from the English Chalk can have really nice crowns but poorly-preserved roots.

It is interesting to get a look at the inside and underside of a Ptychodus crown. I don't think I've seen that in any book or technical article.

Odd too the way the root is completely gone...

Archived