Sign in to follow this  
Cravepain

Good Lower Peninsula Locations?

Cravepain

My boyfriend and I are going on a little mini-vacation next Monday, which for me is turning into a great time of fossil and rock hunting. We are basing where we are going on which area is best for the hunt; we are staying in the lower peninsula. I heard Alpena is really nice for fossils but have never been there so I am unsure. I have looked around here in the Michigan section of the forums a bit and it seems pretty spread all over, so that didn't help too much for a location. Some suggestions would be great! I would love to find a few areas close to each other to check the three days we will be on vacation.

glacialerratic

Here you go:

http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/48601 Devonian Strata of Alpena and Presque Isle Counties, Michigan

http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/48498 Middle Devonian Stratigraphy Along French Road, Alpena County, Michigan

Partridge Point, just south of Alpena, is a sweet spot to hang out. Flip over rocks on the beach to find blastoids.

Good luck!

Cravepain

Here you go:

http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/48601 Devonian Strata of Alpena and Presque Isle Counties, Michigan

http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/48498 Middle Devonian Stratigraphy Along French Road, Alpena County, Michigan

Partridge Point, just south of Alpena, is a sweet spot to hang out. Flip over rocks on the beach to find blastoids.

Good luck!

Sadly the second link will not open the file for me, but I did get the first to work. I noticed there is a decent size list of locations it suggests, though I am pretty sure they are quite old. I do have two locations written down near Alpena that we plan on going (We decided, finally, on the Alpena area for our trip): Rockport Limestone Quarry and Partridge Point, which you also mentioned as being a good place to look. Are there any other locations listed in this book that are still good? Or, are there ones you know for sure I should avoid?

When looking around on the forums I seen a few people mention Potter Farm (Which isn't a location but a rock formation, right?). Have you been there by any chance?

Lasty, (I know, a lot of questions. I'm sorry.) I came across this website last night which has a decent size list of locations near Alpena. I did not compare them to the book just yet, but I was wondering if anything on there is decent as well?

Thank you for all of the help! I am hoping to find some nice things next week to add to my collection. :)

Edited by Cravepain

Auspex

Sadly the second link will not open the file for me

Try THIS

Cravepain

Try THIS

That did not work either. I'm not sure why it wont open up for me. :(

Auspex

Sorry, it snaps right to it for me :(

Try Googling "MIDDLE DEVONIAN STRATIGRAPHY ALONG FRENCH ROAD, ALPENA COUNTY, MICHIGAN"; it should get you to the same pdf.

Cravepain

Sorry, it snaps right to it for me :(

Try Googling "MIDDLE DEVONIAN STRATIGRAPHY ALONG FRENCH ROAD, ALPENA COUNTY, MICHIGAN"; it should get you to the same pdf.

I finally got it to open. Thank you! :)

glacialerratic

I've been going over to Alpena since '99, every other year or so.

I always seem to wind up at Rockport Quarry :zzzzscratchchin:

Didn't have those strat guides until I joined TFF. I am actually hoping to get over there in a few weeks, and basically drive around to some of the locations in the guides that sound somewhat promising. Apparently, a lot of the spots are roadside ditches. I did find one of those years ago, prior to having the pdfs. Kind of weird picking up fossils right off the road side, but that's MI.!

jugglerguy

Have you taken your trip yet? If not, I can tell you where the Potter farm spot is. It's off Bagley St. on Burkholder Dr. That's right across the road from Sytek Park. Pull over on the river side of the road soon as you get on Burkholder. The ditch you want is on Burkholder, not on Bagley. The fossils are small shells and crinoid stems in soft clay. They're really easy to pick up and they clean up with just water.