Brontosaurus Thigh Bone? I Don't Know What Formation

phillycheez

I came across this while hiking last weekend; I took a picture as I was leaving and didn't realize what it might be till after I had left. It's about 2ft across. I plan to go back this weekend to take more pics. It's on BLM land so I don't think I'm allowed to touch it.post-8485-0-78489900-1334717749_thumb.jpg

Edited by phillycheez

Not sure on the ID but you are correct that you are not allowed to collect it. Contact the local museum, I'm sure they would love to know where it is.

Just a bit of FYI, Brontosaurus was recently changed to Apatosaurus.

Edited by Auspex

i thought fossils were normally embedded in rock, but the soil around it is very soft

which makes me believe it has been recently exposed; my head is swirling, but i think i read that it's important to unearth quickly once the fossil itself is exposed to the elements?

i think any vertabrate fossil needs a blm permit, which is only granted to those with advanced degrees in related field

Correct again, I know it's tempting to collect it, but the right thing to do is bring it to the attention of a museum there.

Hi phillycheez...

these guys are right... if its is on BLM land, you should report it to your local museum ... is there even a natural history museum in Jackson? Where did you find this? That's often useful in telling what formation and age you are dealing with. As for your comments about rock and mud... a lot of the mudstones that bones are found in out here (I'm in Casper) are such that they weather into something approximating mud, but if you dig a bit, you'll find that the mud quickly becomes stone as you get past the weathering zone.

If you do go back, feel free to take a landscape shot and I can maybe tell what formation it is in. The museum I work in has a BLM permit and we do use it every now and then... if this thing is not too far we may be able to find time to investingate.

Just from that picture, I'm not really sure what the object is.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

it does look like the end of a dino femur. Like others have said, digging on BLM land is a big no-no. Jail time and fine type no-no.

great find and the antisipation afterwards is awesome. Just to be a part of a find like that is out of this world. Congrats.

That is some beautiful outcrop. Perfect dinosaur territory. That's not near Jackson WY, is it? Looks more eastern than Jackson, got to get out of the mountains. I hope JP can go visit it with you!

here are some more of the area; I think I errantly posted somewhere regarding the green river formation; after a lot of wikipedia and a lack of sleeping, I'm understanding formations vs locations better. but the more I'm learning, the more I realize how very little I know or understand about this stuff

post-8485-0-24077700-1334835908_thumb.jpg

post-8485-0-48221000-1334836053_thumb.jpg

post-8485-0-05301100-1334836243_thumb.jpg

but, this is what caught my eye on google earth and started this whole thing; don't know what it is, but I like it

will try to post a vid on youtube when we go back this weekend.

Location update: after careful study of my various pics and google earth, I figured out the coordinates and....(sigh) it is indeed BLM land; it's in that tricky checkerboard area of 1 mile blocks where BLM owns the evens, while the odds are privately owned (rock springs grazing association) <= has anyone dealt with these people?

anyway, I have to go to bed...wait! I have to get ready for work :o

post-8485-0-42353900-1334836790_thumb.jpg

Thanks, will check it out once I get back to a pc. Now, I've had 2 people say they think that it might be concretions?- one sent a pic of a beach, in California I think, and they looked like a bunch of bowling balls. I guess it's a possibility because it seems so large, but the area in the middle seems to be so bone like in texture; as I've been reading different things, it seems all the big, big stuff is northern wy and mt, where this is closer to rock springs/g river and I hear a lot more about aquatic stuff. But didnt 'Al' the allosaurus(?) come from rock springs area?

The blm guy is hot to trot to get out there, but I gave him a list of requirements (that it doesn't leave wy, I want a casting of it, if its a new species- i get to name it, etc) and haven't given him a time frame when I can take him there yet- I hope I didn't ###### him off too much...

philly -

as far as your requirements....it is protocol that the scientist describing a new species gets to name it. It is quite often named after the discoverer, but the person making the find doesn't have "naming rights". You might have some issues with "demands" because you don't own the property, nor the fossil.

...I gave him a list of requirements (that it doesn't leave wy, I want a casting of it, if its a new species- i get to name it...)

Naming a new species is the prerogative of the scientist who publishes the formal description; this would not be within the BLM's ability to guarantee.

EDIT: X-Man beateth me!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

eocene, bridger formation; thanks everybody!! this pic was off the web..HomeBridger1.jpg

from the 2nd link:

Fine-grained mixed clastic rock

A mixture of clastic sedimentary rocks varying from mudstone to sandstone, dominated by rocks containing clay-sized or silt-sized particles

This category is also used for fine-grained mixed clastic

Forgive my ignorance but what is BLM?

BLM = Bureau of Land Management

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett