PetrolPete

Going To Be Working In Wichita For The Summer And Was Wondering If There Were Any Recomendations For Locations To Visit

PetrolPete

Hello everyone,

I'm still fairly new at fossil hunting and I'm going to be doing an Internship in Wichita this summer, so I was wondering if I could get any advice on locations to go fossil hunting while I'm up there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bullsnake

It seems I read a thread some time ago where someone mentioned that Wichita was not very productive. I've been there several times, as my niece is an elephant handler at the zoo, but I haven't had a chance to fossil hunt. I know it's pretty flat.

Hopefully someone can direct you to something.

Good luck!

Picksuprocksrunning

Invest in the Roadside Kansas book by Rex C. Buchanan and James R. McCauley You can find it at most big book stores in KS or through the KU Book store online. It will have the major highways marked with the surface geology. Although there is some minerals to be found in Wichita, there is not much fossils. A little traveling can get you into fossil country though.

Ramo

Wichita is in the river valley, so there aren't many road cuts in town. Just outside of town north or south should get you in some good roadcuts. I have a sister down near Winfield (about an hour out), and have hunted some of the roadcuts there, and they are full of fossils. The river in town is public, and the gravelbars look good to me. Everytime I drive through I think about hunting there. I've never heard of anyone hunting it though. If you want to drive about 2 1/2 hours north, I could take you to some dakota sandstone areas for leaves, and greenhorn limestone for shark/fish stuff.

Ramo

PetrolPete

Invest in the Roadside Kansas book by Rex C. Buchanan and James R. McCauley You can find it at most big book stores in KS or through the KU Book store online. It will have the major highways marked with the surface geology. Although there is some minerals to be found in Wichita, there is not much fossils. A little traveling can get you into fossil country though.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into getting that book.

Wichita is in the river valley, so there aren't many road cuts in town. Just outside of town north or south should get you in some good roadcuts. I have a sister down near Winfield (about an hour out), and have hunted some of the roadcuts there, and they are full of fossils. The river in town is public, and the gravelbars look good to me. Everytime I drive through I think about hunting there. I've never heard of anyone hunting it though. If you want to drive about 2 1/2 hours north, I could take you to some dakota sandstone areas for leaves, and greenhorn limestone for shark/fish stuff.

Ramo

That sounds great, I might have look into the gravelbars. If I end up going before you have a chance, I'll be sure to give you a full report. Those road cuts and those areas north of town sound really interesting too, it'd be great to go there at some point.

Thanks again for all your help everyone, I was starting to get worried when I couldn't find anything listing sites anywhere nearby

dale carter

rambo, any sites along i-70 to stop and collect fossils, thanks

Missourian

If you're still interested, the KGS has county bulletins available online. They include geo maps and stratigraphic section descriptions in most cases.

http://www.kgs.ku.edu/General/geologyBulls.html