Fossil identification help...please!

joecheck

I'm just not seeing any articulation points in the "bones". I have seen vaguely similar patterns in rocks that contain broken-up shell debris.

I'll PM you my Cape May cell # as soon as I know what it will be; I'd like to see it in hand :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is a pretty good board to bounce this sort of query around as some of us have found, held, prepped, examined, and contemplated tens of thousands of fossils or more each, putting the collective knowledge base here on the order of millions of fossils. The consensus seems to be marine invert, indeterminate without sharper images and/or first hand analysis. This is all stated with no offense to Joe. I've taken my share of fossils yet still submit specimens for ID as we each have a different experience base which hinges primarily on what outcrops locally around us. Get outside your own limited network of observations and it is time to solicit the expertise of others.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

This is a pretty good board to bounce this sort of query around as some of us have found, held, prepped, examined, and contemplated tens of thousands of fossils or more each, putting the collective knowledge base here on the order of millions of fossils. The consensus seems to be marine invert, indeterminate without sharper images and/or first hand analysis. This is all stated with no offense to Joe. I've taken my share of fossils yet still submit specimens for ID as we each have a different experience base which hinges primarily on what outcrops locally around us. Get outside your own limited network of observations and it is time to solicit the expertise of others.

I surrender to the experts :( . I would still like Auspex to take a look at it in hand...if you get the chance. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd set up my photo tent and snap a better photo. I snapped these in poor lighting conditions. But, I do value and respect everyone's opinion. I'm happy to be so welcomed on this site!

...I would still like Auspex to take a look at it in hand...if you get the chance.

Looking forward too it! I just sent you a PM.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

feel free to call me stupid after this just a stab in the dark but could the leg part be the tube of some form of tubeworm and the foot be the fanned out gill filaments you know like those ones that you see on deep sea reef shows

a heckle a day keeps the doctor away

You have no idea how badly I wish I could get asked some Monday morning what I did over the weekend, and casually reply, "Ohhh, nothing much, just raptor banding." Then I'd just turn and walk away. They could pick their jaws up at their convenience. I mean, moments like that are why I get up in the morning. Raptor banding. You could SELL that opportunity. Especially at Renaissance Festivals! Band a raptor! Fifty bucks! Your choice of band colors. Designer bands and precious metal bands are available. The bands would be easy to get. The raptors would be a bigger challenge. Wonder if people would figure it out if you glued some wicked fake beaks on pigeons and just pretended they were raptors...

Did I mention I've been working really, really much lately? [grammar weirdness for emphasis].

Joe,

Picture this Rastellum broken and crushed with others in some beach-worn Cretaceous NJ matrix. It would look like a lot of things...it isn't. :unsure:;)

post-420-1222398716_thumb.jpg

post-420-1222398704_thumb.jpg

post-420-1222398688_thumb.jpg

Just a clam.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Rastellum and similar oysters are very common locally on Cretaceous exposures.Here, were I live thereare different ones.I never collect them.Most of them are distorted.I will pic the best one.