Cretaceous Bivalve

truceburner

This weekend I walked a section of Walnut Creek in Austin (where last I found an ammonite), and came across this colorful little bivalve. Ain't she a beauty? I'm particularly interested in the chevron-shaped bore holes - what causes those? Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

post-7896-0-37486500-1335143089_thumb.jpgpost-7896-0-78184800-1335143093_thumb.jpgpost-7896-0-52714600-1335143098_thumb.jpgpost-7896-0-54651700-1335143102_thumb.jpgpost-7896-0-69441900-1335143110_thumb.jpgpost-7896-0-52051700-1335143115_thumb.jpg

post-7896-0-71300900-1335143106_thumb.jpg

Thing that went through my head when I found this: Cool Cretaceous bivalve!

Thing that did not go through my head when I found this: Any reason to think this is actually Cretaceous?

I presumed it was Cretaceous because that's mostly what I find on this creek, but it could certainly be much more recent. Thanks for pointing that out.

I think you found someone's lunch. I've got a heap of those next to my compost pile. They were good too! The preservation just seems wrong compared to the local Cretaceous oysters.

I agree too modern. I live close to the coast of NC and while digging in and around my yard I pull out a handful every now and then. Instead of the garbage they threw them out into holes here, even some in my gravel driveway from 20-30 years ago..There they probally threw in creeks or rivers. Nothing like a couple pounds of smoked oysters or a campfire... :) Anyone hungry now. :) Jeff

Edited by Tarheel59

Just need a lemon or two, some tobasco and some fresh horseradish... Always wondered if those big Exogyras were good eatin'.

How about a really worn Crassostrea soleniscus ? :zzzzscratchchin:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Whenever I find scads of Pycnodonte steinkerns, I picture all the lost oyster meat...

Just need a lemon or two, some tobasco and some fresh horseradish... Always wondered if those big Exogyras were good eatin'.