Sign in to follow this  

Trilobite Sites In Ohio

I’ve been a lurker on here for awhile and finally decided to create an account. I live in Columbus, Ohio and am on the hunt for my first ‘whole’ trilobite fossil. I’ve found plenty of parts at the Trammel Fossil Park but never a whole bug. Can anyone give me suggestions on where to hunt in Ohio or Indiana? I’ve heard of road cuts on county roads that are good but can never get more details than that. Any help is greatly appreciated!

squalicorax

try sylvania fossil park near toledo for phacops

try some of the quarries in the cedarville dolomite which is silurian and they have alot of nice internal molds of the trilobite gravicalymene

the quarries around paulding ohio offer really nice phacops. join north coast fossil club as i believe they get into some of them.

also you can head down to the cincinatti area and find a plethora of ordovician bugs

Herr Mario

....have you tried Hueston Woods...???...I used to go there for years,then Murphy's Law kinda put a detour on fossil hunting.....a month ago I happened to be going past and decided to go by the ol' hunting ground and within the space of about 45 minutes found 6 Flexicalimenemeeki's...rolled and 1 prone...and I wasnt even trying...!!!....now the fire has reignited and I'm goinfg to have to go back when I have more time... :) ...post-13249-0-90080800-1379890873_thumb.jpg

mwfoster

Glick Park in Powell across from the zoo. The limestone outcrop gets cut every winter from freezing. Found horn coral, Brachiopods, burrows of some type of worm. Delaware Ohio has a rock quarry if you ask nicely and can tie it back to Youth they let you hunt in an quarry they quite mining in.