20 Mile Creek, Frankstown, Ms

Paleo sapiens

Here are some fossil teeth I found in 20 Mile Creek, Frankstown, MS . . .

Hemipristis sp. (snaggletooth), Squalicorax pristodontus (crow), Charcarhinus leucas (bull),

Odontapsis sp. (sand), Carcharodon charcarias (white), and Scapanorhynchus texanus (goblin)

Correct me if I am wrong or can identify a particular species. I assume they are all from the Cretaceous.

post-8555-0-49475400-1335362626_thumb.jpg

Looks like you've got a mix of different eras similar to Green Mill Run in North Carolina. The Great White teeth are mid/ late Miocene at best.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.12.00 AM.png

Hi Paleo sapiens and welcome to the forum. Looking at your picture, I have to agree with Gizmo, it does look like you have a mix of eras like Greens Mill Run. That makes it a great place to hunt because yoiu never know what you will find. As far as you teeth I would say,

Hemi;

Sqalicorax kaupi

probably Bull shark

Cretaceous makeral sharks , most likely Cretolamna appendiculatta

a great white and a very worn meg

Scapanorhynchus texanus

not a bad variety of finds at all

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

It seems odd that the 20 Mile Creek site is mixed. It is a very small exposure and localized. Everything to the West of it is Cretaceousand further west is Tertiary or Quaternary. Everything for 50 miles in every other direction is Cretaceous. I don't know what it would be mixed with? Just saying . :zzzzscratchchin: Would like more info?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I hope the site was not contaminated with material from elsewhere.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Here is a site that should be helpful. Choose faunas, then "L Cret Miss" (L=late not lower). Some forum members collect a lot at the Franktown site, they should be able to help you when they check in.

Several of your teeth (the Hemipristus and the "great white looking ones") seem very anomalous for that site to me. There have been two Palaeocarcharodon orientalis found there (according to Elasmo.com) but otherwise the fauna is strictly well know Late Cretaceous forms. Did you collect all those teeth yourself, and are you sure they are all from that one outcrop?

Don

Edited by FossilDAWG

You guys are really sharp!!! The Great White I found walking the beach in North Carolina when I was just a kid. The Meg was purchased at the Pink Palace Museum in Memphis, TN in the 70s from the souvenir shop. The hemi, squali, bull, scapano, and the three small onyx black teeth I thought were sand shark WERE found in 20 Mile Creek.

The Carcharodons don't belong. Again, kudos to the forum. Sorry to confuse you so, Herb. You really know the Frankstown site! :)

I did find the Hemipristis and Carcharhinus in 20 Mile Creek, but they're supposedly late Paleocene fauna. Can anyone explain that?

I did find the Hemipristis and Carcharhinus in 20 Mile Creek, but they're supposedly late Paleocene fauna. Can anyone explain that?

I don't know the local geology but there may be an unconformity between the Late Cretaceous material and the Late Paleocene stuff. Not uncommon to find vast sections of time missing in the geo record.

FYI the sharp notch in the Squalicorax is the difference between S. kaupi and S. pristodontus along with size.

I'm in discussions with authors on the Northern Mississippi formations and they Strongly question as to whether the teeth came from that location or possibly were even dropped there by another collector. Can you shed any more light on the subject? How were they collected, where in the stream or land were they found?

I don't know the local geology but there may be an unconformity between the Late Cretaceous material and the Late Paleocene stuff. Not uncommon to find vast sections of time missing in the geo record.

FYI the sharp notch in the Squalicorax is the difference between S. kaupi and S. pristodontus along with size.

Thanks. I like those useful tidbits of info.

I'm in discussions with authors on the Northern Mississippi formations and they Strongly question as to whether the teeth came from that location or possibly were even dropped there by another collector. Can you shed any more light on the subject? How were they collected, where in the stream or land were they found?

Except for the two Carcharodons, the smaller teeth were sifted through a colander using shovelfuls of creek sand. I was surprised myself at finding the bull and the highly serrated Hemipristis. Most of what I've seen are the goblin teeth from other fossil hunters at the site.

I only found 8 teeth in about 2 hours of sifting, but apparently at least 5 different species.

I cannot say whether or not other fossil hunters dropped one of their finds from a different locale. You know us rock heads like to show off pretty fossils like diamonds. It might have got dropped and made a very unhappy camper, but it was in creek sand.

B)

Speaking of North Mississippi, I found this fossil bit on top of a limestone deposit on Hwy 8 north of West Point. It looks like an echinoderm of some sort, a star I guess. Notice the radial pattern at the broken end. The mineralization inside looks like pyrite, a slight golden hue. There is also cleavage running the length of the ventral side.

post-8555-0-15343400-1335539768_thumb.jpg

The tubular specimen looks like a pyrite or marcasite nodule. These are common at some horizons in the chalk, and often they formed in burrows so they have that elongated shape. I've been to sites in the Mooreville Chalk that are covered with such pyrite nodules. Even if it was originally organic (which I doubt) the pyrite has destroyed the structure to the point where I couldn't identify the original material any more. Anyway, really nothing definitive there to indicate an echinoderm.

Don

I've never heard or seen a hemi from Frankstown, it is strictly a cretaceous deposit. I guess its possible its something else, but hard to tell.

The tubular specimen looks like a pyrite or marcasite nodule. These are common at some horizons in the chalk, and often they formed in burrows so they have that elongated shape. I've been to sites in the Mooreville Chalk that are covered with such pyrite nodules. Even if it was originally organic (which I doubt) the pyrite has destroyed the structure to the point where I couldn't identify the original material any more. Anyway, really nothing definitive there to indicate an echinoderm.

Don

Thanks!!! I'm almost positive it's pyrite. Would organic material mineralize into pyrite under any kind of geologic conditions?

I've never heard or seen a hemi from Frankstown, it is strictly a cretaceous deposit. I guess its possible its something else, but hard to tell.

Have you heard of a bull shark from Frankstown? Top right in the photo, if it is a bull.

Have you heard of a bull shark from Frankstown? Top right in the photo, if it is a bull.

Please post sharp, bright closeups of these teeth (all angles) to facilitate positive ID, as their purported occurrence in that formation is extraordinary.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

No I have not. While from the pic it does resemble one I still have doubts on that. As for the "hemi" if its from Frankstown could it be some type of Pseudocorax? The only ones I have are from the Prairie Bluff, not the Demopolis but...

People do leave behind fossils either unintentionally or to mess with other collectors. I found a Phacops rana in the Ordovician near Maysville, KY and others in a Silurian site in Indiana. Go figure :drool:

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I don't see this happening at this site. I think its just a case of mistaken identity, being worn or broken making them look like something different