7 replies to this topic

#1 Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

We had a wonderful fossil hunt in Cottageville South Carolina yesterday. We found lots of pieces of fossilized sharks teeth and even found a few complete teeth. The types of sharks teeth we found were Angustiden, Megalodon, Snaggletooth, and Tiger. One Squalodon whale tooth was found. Quite a few pieces of petrified wood were found and collected. The Edisto river was absolutely gorgeous yesterday. The early morning fog rising off the flat, black, still water and the sounds of the critters waking and sounding out made for a wonderful experience. The water was actually moving but not very fast. The current was perfect for fossil hunting. The diving was easy. The backwoods river was at 10-15 feet with no boat traffic. We had visibility, and 5-7mm of neoprene, with hood, kept one as comfortable as laying at home on the sofa. The participants were John (Surry Virginia), Rusty (Port St. Lucie Florida), Clint (Columbia SC), Phil (Eutaville SC), Lee (James Island SC)

Fossil Hunt Photos

Edited by Lee Taylor, 29 April 2012 - 08:32 PM.

#2 Kehbe

Kehbe

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

Looks like that was a good time :)
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
Charles Darwin

#3 Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

it was fun Kehbe. how are things out Missouri way? will be doing some more underwater fossiling next week. May run across something good, i HOPE. are you guys banging away at the Missouri strata? How does it work out that way?

#4 Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

Visited some friends down Savannah GA way and they let me view some of the items in their private collections. They said if I come back they would take me in the house and show me the good stuff. They are coastal river collectors. Really enjoyed it. Hope you do too!

Megs etc

Edited by Lee Taylor, 08 May 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#5 Kehbe

Kehbe

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

it was fun Kehbe. how are things out Missouri way? will be doing some more underwater fossiling next week. May run across something good, i HOPE. are you guys banging away at the Missouri strata? How does it work out that way?

Things are good in Missouri and really good today when I found this cladodont tooth!
unknown 005.jpg
Shark teeth here in the midwest are a real treat because they sure don't come along very often and they are pretty only in their own way! Certainly not like they are in the Carolinas! Mostly I surface hunt but have been known to 'bang' a few rocks to get at the fossils! Hope the hunting has been good for you and looking forward to more reports and pictures! :)
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
Charles Darwin

#6 Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

Had a good fossil hunt last weekend.

Tied off the boat, suited up, dropped in. The 79 degree water felt good. One foot of viz with flashlight. Current was strong in middle of river, SO, I worked up the edges. Giant gravel. Large grain brown sand. Gray clay under sand. Very few critters. 7-8 foot depth max. Bits, pieces, small teeth, until the 4" Angustien (or Ariculatis) came up from the bottom. (my four Hemi's did not make the photo shoot)

put my fins in my bag tonight. ready to go for more. will soon have my underwater fossiling dive light helmet finished. (440 lumens... YEA!)

ps: dont overlook the KILLER 4" tooth in the photos. wasn't my find. maybe next time

--------------------------> Photos <-------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtGDYb7EICM

Edited by Lee Taylor, 02 June 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#7 catmaggie

catmaggie

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

Please let us know if you go to any land sites! We've been walking some in Sawmill, finding teeth here and there. We don't dive (yet), but we love to search shallow creeks and landsites....although, of course, Summerville is tricky! We live in Mt Pleasant.

#8 davehunt

davehunt

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

Looks like a beautiful spot and fun hunting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users